• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2019 Loan Charge Petition Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am some what if a Parliament Petition geek (clearly lack a decent social life) and would be interested in starting one on this matter.

There currently is no running petition so would not have the issue of duplication. While petitions are often worthless, if 100,000 signatures can be obtained it is proven that change can in fact actually occur. Would it be worth getting this issue out in the main stream with a petition and putting some weight behind it?

Give it a go and see?

I’d have to read more on the subject but I don’t think I’d sign it. Not because I agree with HMRC. It’s because I don’t agree with ignorance as an excuse.

Comment

I dont think it is ignorance that is the issue.
      For me, I was advised that this was the best course of action for me personally.
      I have since found out that my independent advisor was paid my the company delivering the planning, so I dont really feel this was independent and that have I am now having to pay 3 times the tax amount.
      If the government was simply saying 'this is what you could have paid in the year the planning was done, therefore pay that' I would gladly do this.
      If the government had said 'We are stopping it from this day moving forward' no argument, but to introduce a tax on previous arrangments that they have allowed go on for years, is wrong, wrong, wrong.
      They are still allowing it now.... the promotors of these schemes should be stopped and it should be illegal to promote, not to be a victim of a promotor.

I feel a victim - I have worked 20 years saving money, and will totally whipped out by this.

Comment

Bearing in mind the petition to stop the IR35 changes coming in to the public sector only got 15k votes, what are the chances of you actually making 100k? It also raised quite a bit of a stink because it was utter tulip.

Blindly creating poor petitions when there is zero chance it's going to go anywhere doesn't help anyone IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
          Give it a go and see?

I’d have to read more on the subject but I don’t think I’d sign it. Not because I agree with HMRC. It’s because I don’t agree with ignorance as an excuse.
          Didn't expect to see schadenfreude rear its' ugly head on this particular subject. Trust (excuse the pun) it doesn't come back to bite one day.

Comment

Originally posted by catesby View Post
            Didn't expect to see schadenfreude rear its' ugly head on this particular subject. Trust (excuse the pun) it doesn't come back to bite one day.
            Outside of the https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/ subforum, you may well not find the levels of sympathy you would like.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Outside of the https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/ subforum, you may well not find the levels of sympathy you would like.
              Most people believe HMRC have too much power.

Comment

Indeed. I recall one occasion where I was undercut on rate by someone using a dodgy scheme.

Comment

Knowingly entering a scheme where you pay no tax, but a percentage to a firm in the Isle of Man is not ignorance.
                  Stupidity isn’t much of an excuse either as most are/were reasonably well paid individuals so have a basic level of intelligence (albeit not a lot of wisdom).

So no sympathy here. I get infractions when I state my view on that other forum.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not interested in sympathy. Just the process of law not being distorted and manoeuvred to suit governments with large debts.

Comment

Working...
                    X