• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2019 Loan Charge Petition Parliament"

Collapse

• FrancisBacon
    replied
    I agree

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Knowingly entering a scheme where you pay no tax, but a percentage to a firm in the Isle of Man is not ignorance.
    Stupidity isn�t much of an excuse either as most are/were reasonably well paid individuals so have a basic level of intelligence (albeit not a lot of wisdom).

So no sympathy here. I get infractions when I state my view on that other forum.
    I agree; if you enter a scheme knowing you wont pay tax that is tax avoidance. We all have to pay tax to support our public services, you should too. you deserve what you get.
    On a note of advice HMRC usually go back 6 years, 20 years is allowed for extreme tax avoidance, but I would think in this case 6 years will be the max.

And given the high media profile, usually about footballers, you should have seen this coming.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The retrospective aspect is there to stop cat and mouse scheme hopping (which you can see by the numbers who have been caught out by the different 11-12, 12-13, 13-14 schemes they’ve have been involved in).

If you think you’re going to be caught in the future, you’re less likely to join a scheme today.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegalaxy View Post
    All I would say is I personally didn’t intentionalky dodge tax. Amend the law, agree what is allowed and isn’t allowed and don’t retrospectively punish people.
    You paid a 3rd party a percentage, and no tax at all? Right? That’s the sort of scheme we’re on about as I understand.

So which bit of that was not intentionally paying no tax?

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    All I would say is I personally didn’t intentionalky dodge tax.
    So you did it because ...?

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    A lot more work needs to be put into this if you want to get any kind of backing. At the current rate you’d be looking at ~8 years to get to your 100k.

You asked the question whether it would be a good idea. Everyone said no.

I think I agree with Malvolio that the scheme operators should be your target. To make them liable.

I do have some sympathy as I think it’s something I could have been fooled into straight out of uni. Just by someone saying it’s legal and having a website. But the petition as it stands won’t go anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    All I would say is I personally didn’t intentionalky dodge tax. Amend the law, agree what is allowed and isn’t allowed and don’t retrospectively punish people.
    They aren’t retrospectively punishing people, HMRC are merely collecting the tax that should have been paid in the first place. Everyone knows that the “loans’ they received were not really loans and this simply draws a line under it.

Equally I don’t think it’s accurate to say you didn’t intentionally dodge tax. Your tax returns are your responsibility not anyone else’s and as a contractor you run a business which means you are responsible for doing your own research. So the best light I can shine on it is that you took a gamble and it didn’t pay off - anything else just makes you look like a ....

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Intent is not actually relevant...

Your fight should be about preventing the scheme operators selling false products to gullible clients.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegalaxy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegalaxy
    replied
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

Petition just recently been approved for anyone who wants to sign and share

Leave a comment:

• Loan Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    They are slightly better, the best are petitions which ask that people should be allowed to be paid salaries in the form of loans such that they pay no tax at all on about 150k of income. Even better they want to go to newspapers as well to drum up public support for it.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    They are slightly better, the best are petitions which ask that people should be allowed to be paid salaries in the form of loans such that they pay no tax at all on about 150k of income. Even better they want to go to newspapers as well to drum up public support for it.

Leave a comment:

• Loan Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I think its great that we are in a country where one can start a petition asking to help dodge tax.
    You mean like these?

https://petition.parliament.uk/archi...titions/170118
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/204121

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I think its great that we are in a country where one can start a petition asking to help dodge tax. All the best really, but the chances of that being taken seriously and debated upon and succeeding is a big fat zero.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    I think this thread should be moved to General.

Parts of this site are like a cross between a zoo and a playground. Too many middle aged men acting like adolescent boys.
    And vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Loan Ranger
    replied
    I think this thread should be moved to General.

Parts of this site are like a cross between a zoo and a playground. Too many middle aged men acting like adolescent boys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X