• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gorilla Accounting- spam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'll hazard another guess you don't watch any TV, listen to the radio or receive any post whatsoever. You've never had post asking you to switch TV, broadband, insurance, phone, gas, electric yadda because they are better/cheaper than your current suppliers?
    No, actually. We hardly get any post like that nowadays, the blanket paper spam that the postie pushes through every postbox doesn’t count.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Gorilla View Post
      Boox did it a few years ago, it was discussed in the thread below:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...fessional.html
      Hang on minute, is this the Craig from Nixon Williams in that other thread? Hmmm...... credibility? How about zero? (If I'm mistaken, I apologise in advance).
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Well spotted!

Both Craig's at Gorilla used to work for Nixon Williams.

So he had it done to him at NW and then copied the tactic for use in Gorilla! Nice.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 December 2020, 16:06.

Comment

Yes I used to be over at Nixon Williams, but joined Gorilla at the start of this year.

At the time Boox targeted Nixon Williams, they were cold-calling clients using landline numbers (presumably from BT website) which those that I spoke to found to be intrusive. From memory I don't think Nixon Williams lost a client as a result of the campaign that was done at that time.

Accountants that provide value to their clients need not worry about losing clients as a result of these letters; I would expect that anyone to receive a letter with no interest in us will simply disregard it or ask not to be contacted again. As I have already stated on this thread, and as Simon stated in 2013, only unhappy clients will move as the result of receiving a marketing letter.

Since my posts on here yesterday, neither myself or our marketing team have received any requests from people not to be contacted; and the total number of people that have either returned their letter to us or called/emailed us asking to be removed from our database since we began sending these letters in 2015 is much less than the total number of clients that we have taken on from letter campaigns.

Anonymous posts on this forum by people that I assume not to be clients regarding one of our marketing strategies, are not reflective of the service that is delivered. We do not set out to upset or annoy anybody with these letters, so if there is anybody on here that is in any way irritated about receiving our marketing letters, I would suggest contacting our office, or sending me your details on here for your name to be removed from our list.

Comment

Yes I used to be over at Nixon Williams, but joined Gorilla at the start of this year.

At the time Boox targeted Nixon Williams, they were cold-calling clients using landline numbers (presumably from BT website) which those that I spoke to found to be intrusive. From memory I don't think Nixon Williams lost a client as a result of the campaign that was done at that time.

Accountants that provide value to their clients need not worry about losing clients as a result of these letters; I would expect that anyone to receive a letter with no interest in us will simply disregard it or ask not to be contacted again. As I have already stated on this thread, and as Simon stated in 2013, only unhappy clients will move as the result of receiving a marketing letter.

Since my posts on here yesterday, neither myself or our marketing team have received any requests from people not to be contacted; and the total number of people that have either returned their letter to us or called/emailed us asking to be removed from our database since we began sending these letters in 2015 is much less than the total number of clients that we have taken on from letter campaigns.
            I can explain that one. If you send me a letter I just chuck it in the bin and note down that I would never use you.

An email will just be marked as spam so I don't see it in future.

Phone calls I will just escape at the very first opportunity.

With all of those methods 2 things are true:-
            1) I will remember the dubious advertising method resulting in gorilla never being my choice of accountant.
            2) I have no need to waste time complaining to you - throwing it in a bin is far less hassle.

As an aside I may change my freeagent accountant as my current one isn't much cop. Gorilla are already excluded from my short list...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am slightly sympathetic toward Gorilla, as well as not at the same time. Mass email campaigns do work if done correctly - however - saying "come to us from XYZ because we're cheaper and better" is not how to do it correctly. Sending a well written / designed piece of collateral, an exclusive white paper of some sort, or something that someone will genuinely find useful is far more profitable in the long term. If you had even a handful of people go "hmm, that was really informative" - then the campaign has done its job. When that person wants a new accounting company, your name should be in their mind.

Perhaps an accountants guide to being inside IR35, or how to remain outside, something like that. That's proving to be very topical right now.

You could also very effectively do some Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn marketing which can be as highlight targeted as you like - this will get your brand presence which will help accompany the useful collateral you're sending out in your mass mails.

But hey, what do I know.. I'm just an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                I am slightly sympathetic toward Gorilla, as well as not at the same time. Mass email campaigns do work if done correctly - however - saying "come to us from XYZ because we're cheaper and better" is not how to do it correctly. Sending a well written / designed piece of collateral, an exclusive white paper of some sort, or something that someone will genuinely find useful is far more profitable in the long term. If you had even a handful of people go "hmm, that was really informative" - then the campaign has done its job. When that person wants a new accounting company, your name should be in their mind.

Perhaps an accountants guide to being inside IR35, or how to remain outside, something like that. That's proving to be very topical right now.

You could also very effectively do some Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn marketing which can be as highlight targeted as you like - this will get your brand presence which will help accompany the useful collateral you're sending out in your mass mails.

But hey, what do I know.. I'm just an infrastructure geek
                do a google seach for "gorilla accounting" while logged in to chrome then you'll see in the next few days how many linkedin and facebook ads they have going

Comment

Do you actually get people who write back to you and say "please remove me"? If it's going to cost me time and effort to help you out, then I'm not sure what my incentive is - I'd almost rather keep getting the spam and then let people know why I wouldn't use a particular company than spend my time saving you money.

We do not set out to upset or annoy anybody with these letters
                  One of the sad side effects of targeted spam mail is that some of the targets are upset by it (eg look at the Gorilla twitter messages when they first started to do this kind of thing). But as long as you're happy with that, fill your boots
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Which accountant did it first, Craig?

So far, Gorilla is the only one I'm aware of that has specifically targeted customers by looking at which accountant they currently use and then writing to them saying how great you are in comparison to that particular company. I had a number of letters telling me that you were better and cheaper than InTouch, for example, and yet I've never received any other letters or contact from another accountant in the same vein.

Who started this trend, and who else has done it - I'm sure it would help some people if we knew who else was on the list

Ta
                    I can recall getting a similar letter from SJD many years ago, so yes quite a few have used it. I can’t see the problem, if you’re not interested just phone/email them and tell them to stop, they’ll be happy to as they don’t want to waste money.

Competition is good for us all, it keeps the accountants on their toes which helps us all. Make the most of it, if Corbyn’s Britain happens you’ll have no choice, everything will be nationalised!
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                      I quite like the fact they do it. Love it when the competition spend money to irritate potential clients.
                      Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                      I can recall getting a similar letter from SJD many years ago, so yes quite a few have used it.
                      interesting O_o

Comment

Working...
                      X