• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business class to fly back early from holiday for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Quite possibly if it matches TFs example but I read in to this he's on holiday while he's on the bench and will cut it short to come back home to work. He might decide after his 3 months or whatever he wants to go back on holiday but there is no way that fits the models explained.
    Who knows, my solution would be to start the work from the beach and tell the client I'll see them for the Christmas party

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Or, to put it another way "If I buy a one way ticket to go on holiday, can I expense the return journey because I'll hopefully be working when I go home?"
      Where does he mention anything about buying a one way ticket to go on holiday?

I read it as being on holiday and needing to come back early cutting short the holiday, as I wrote.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Where does he mention anything about buying a one way ticket to go on holiday?

I read it as being on holiday and needing to come back early cutting short the holiday, as I wrote.
        We'd need the OP to comment but I read it he's away UNTIL he finds a gig. He isn't really cutting it short as such. He's ending it when he finds work, for which he'd have to come home anyway.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I basically agree with WTFH.

Two different situations:

1) you're on holiday. You've paid for outbound and return flights personally, no expectation of tax relief. Then for business reasons you need to come back early. You don't have a flexible ticket. Therefore independently of the return flight already paid for, you need to buy an additional one way ticket home. In this situation, I would agree that extra flight is wholly and exclusively for the benefit of the trade.

2) you're on holiday. You've only paid for an outbound flight, as you're basically going to enjoy yourself abroad until work comes up. Then, work does come up, so you want to fly back then. Here to my mind there clearly is duality of purpose, therefore no tax relief available.

If you had a flexible return ticket but with a date pre-agreed, and you wanted to come back early for business, then perhaps any admin cost of bringing the flight forward might be wholly and exclusively for the benefit of the trade, but it wouldn't make the whole flight cost a valid business expense.

Comment

Here's what he said:

Originally posted by bluepeter View Post
            Hi

Im taking a long holiday at the moment for a few months. If a job comes up, can i reasonably take a long haul business flight back early, considering it may cost ££££at short notice.

Thanks
            He's on holiday, he doesn't have a contract to come home to, he doesn't have an interview, but he's looking for a way to come home at short notice.

Most of my gigs it takes about a month from when I am first contacted about it until the role starts - if his holiday is more than another month long, then changing the date on his return ticket would not be expensive and would not required buying a new ticket.
            If I get offered a gig or interview while I am on holiday, I let the agent/client know that I am currently on holiday and won't be available for work until I get back.

That's why in my first post I asked if he already had a return ticket booked - he says he's on a long holiday for a few months.
            If he hasn't a return ticket booked, then no he can't claim it as a business expense cause he's just coming home from his holiday.
            If he has a ticket booked and he comes home early, he may have to pay a few pounds to change the date on his return ticket. It certainly would not warrant buying a new ticket.

He is choosing to come home, he is not being forced to come home.
            He is choosing to curtail his holiday, possibly to start a new role.

As a contractor you can accept or reject a contract. As a contractor you can negotiate the start date of your contract.
            As a holidaymaker that has flown long haul, he should be able to change his ticket to an earlier date and pay a small exchange fee. But what he is asking to do is to ignore the fact that he already has paid for a ticket home (if he has one), and rather than changing his booking, he wants to leave that booking open and make a completely new booking to come home.
            That's why it sounds fishy to me.

Perhaps he should ask his accountant, or maybe he'll come on here and answer a few of the questions asked.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hi

Im taking a long holiday at the moment for a few months. If a job comes up, can i reasonably take a long haul business flight back early, considering it may cost ££££ at short notice.

Thanks
              It's still not business travel is it? So what do you think...

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                I basically agree with WTFH.

Two different situations:

1) you're on holiday. You've paid for outbound and return flights personally, no expectation of tax relief. Then for business reasons you need to come back early. You don't have a flexible ticket. Therefore independently of the return flight already paid for, you need to buy an additional one way ticket home. In this situation, I would agree that extra flight is wholly and exclusively for the benefit of the trade.

2) you're on holiday. You've only paid for an outbound flight, as you're basically going to enjoy yourself abroad until work comes up. Then, work does come up, so you want to fly back then. Here to my mind there clearly is duality of purpose, therefore no tax relief available.

If you had a flexible return ticket but with a date pre-agreed, and you wanted to come back early for business, then perhaps any admin cost of bringing the flight forward might be wholly and exclusively for the benefit of the trade, but it wouldn't make the whole flight cost a valid business expense.
                It is 1) . ive already got a return ticket which cant be changed, but if i land a contract would have to book a earlier flight back to the Uk, for the sole purpose of starting that job.

Comment

It is 1) . ive already got a return ticket which cant be changed, but if i land a contract would have to book a earlier flight back to the Uk, for the sole purpose of starting that job.
                  In which case, as I said earlier, you would be able to claim the necessary business travel IMHO and the class of travel (as per HMRC guidance) is immaterial.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    In which case, as I said earlier, you would be able to claim the necessary business travel IMHO and the class of travel (as per HMRC guidance) is immaterial.
                    This I guess..Something still doesn't seem right but it appears to cover what the OP is saying. Remember it isn't free though. Booking business class just because the business is paying for it doesn't really work out. It's still ultimately coming out of your pocket, albeit at a discount.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 30 October 2017, 12:06.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What date is your return?

Are you actively looking for work while you're on holiday?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X