• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business class to fly back early from holiday for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business class to fly back early from holiday for work

Basing it on previous comments made by the OP, I’m not convinced they have an accountant. Last he told us he was trying to do BTL and set up an online retail business - neither of which were to do with contracting.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...usinesses.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...same-time.html

I’m very surprised at long haul flights where they will not change the ticket - sometimes it will cost £100, but airlines can be flexible particularly if the flier is also flexible - e.g. flying on a Wednesday night when the plane is 75% full compared to Friday-Monday when it’s overbooked.
    I’m also confused (and the OP is avoiding this one) as to whether he is actively applying for jobs while he is on holiday, or if he is just waiting for his phone to ring.
    And finally, how far ahead is his currently booked flight home?

Parts of the story do not add up. They don’t make sense. So maybe he thinks that buying things through his business makes them “free” (wouldn’t be the first on here to do so) and is happy to blow a wad of cash just so he can fly up front on the way home.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How often do we see questions like this. OP knows it's dodgy so asks to get the answer he wants. If it wasn't dodgy he wouldn't need to ask.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How often do we see questions like this. OP knows it's dodgy so asks to get the answer he wants. If it wasn't dodgy he wouldn't need to ask.
        Hmmm - accountant says that in a given scenario then they would see no problem with it being something that can be claimed (post 14). Poster confirms that the scenario is as described by accountant (post 17). And yet you are certain that this is dodgy.

What different accounting knowledge and experience are you calling on from Maslins?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Hmmm - accountant says that in a given scenario then they would see no problem with it being something that can be claimed (post 14). Poster confirms that the scenario is as described by accountant (post 17). And yet you are certain that this is dodgy.

What different accounting knowledge and experience are you calling on from Maslins?
          Because what the OP said in post 17 was:
          Originally posted by bluepeter View Post
          It is 1) ... if i land a contract would have to book a earlier flight back to the Uk, for the sole purpose of starting that job.
          So, his business reason (as Maslins put it) for coming home is that he accepted a new contract while he was away on holiday and rather than trying to negotiate a start date decided to hop on a plane straight away.
          He’s not in a contract at the minute. He’s on the bench and on holiday.
          He’s talking about accepting a new contract while he is on holiday, not agreeing a start date for after his holiday is finished, but saying he must come home immediately.

A business reason for a trip home from your holiday is one where your business requires you to do it because of a pre-agreed contract or plan.

Making a new contract and signing up to it while you are on holiday is not a business requirement, but a personal choice.
          It is not his business that is telling him to come home urgently, it’s his choice about accepting a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

that would be zero knowledge, just asking for facts, thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepeter View Post
              that would be zero knowledge, just asking for facts, thats all.
              Give us some to work with then.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Because what the OP said in post 17 was:

So, his business reason (as Maslins put it) for coming home is that he accepted a new contract while he was away on holiday and rather than trying to negotiate a start date decided to hop on a plane straight away.
                He’s not in a contract at the minute. He’s on the bench and on holiday.
                He’s talking about accepting a new contract while he is on holiday, not agreeing a start date for after his holiday is finished, but saying he must come home immediately.

A business reason for a trip home from your holiday is one where your business requires you to do it because of a pre-agreed contract or plan.

Making a new contract and signing up to it while you are on holiday is not a business requirement, but a personal choice.
                It is not his business that is telling him to come home urgently, it’s his choice about accepting a new contract.
                All this and I'm still not convinced of the intentions here. Still sounds like go on holiday until he gets a gig to me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Still sounds like go on holiday until he gets a gig to me.
                  This.

OP, what has your accountant said?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

How nice it must be to always be in a position where you can turn down work and / or risk not getting a long-term contract by telling them that you won't start until the end of your holiday - but maybe you should remember that not everyone is in the luxurious position that you and NLUK seem to presume.

Some people may want to cut short the holiday, and if the client says "it's start this week on £500 a day for the next three months but you can't delay the start at all" then I can understand why that would be tempting to head home and take the role rather than saying "sod that, I'll rock up when I want to - like it or lump it".

It's always the choice of the director whether the company will accept the role or not, but to presume that it's dodgy to want to start work as soon as possible seems more than a little stupid IMHO.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Now now TF. No need to be calling anyone stupid. I'm not presuming anything. The only thing I think is dodgy is the reasons he's using to try justify the business travel. The drip feed of information isn't helping.

Comment

Working...
                      X