• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat rate scheme for mixed businesses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat rate scheme for mixed businesses

hi

im a contractor in IT but am moving into online retail as well as another way of investing. I understand that companies can
    have multiple SIC codes allowing me to use the same company to do this, but how would this work with flat rate vat?

retail has 7.5% or so and IT has 14.5, and now i would be moving to the new higher band anyway since April, how could this work?

can you simply calclulate just the retail sales at 7.5% and then software work at 16.5%, assuming my sales dont pull me back down again?

I want to avoid setting up another company

thanks
    Last edited by bluepeter; 24 May 2017, 23:48.

Have you asked your accountant for advice? What did they suggest?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are still on the flat rate scheme but you have a mixture of trades - then the % you use is determined by the activity which brings in the highest turnover.

So, if IT contracting is the main activity still, then you'd carry on using 14.5%, until any other trade exceeds this turnover.

Some things to bear in mind: if you are subject to the Ltd cost trader rules, then you will need to use 16.5% on all the gross sales subject to VAT.

Plus, if your VAT inclusive sales exceed £230,000, you will no longer be eligible for the FRS, unless this is a one off and then you can request to remain on the scheme.

We're all ears!

Comment

Working...
      X