• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business class to fly back early from holiday for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How nice it must be to always be in a position where you can turn down work and / or risk not getting a long-term contract by telling them that you won't start until the end of your holiday - but maybe you should remember that not everyone is in the luxurious position that you and NLUK seem to presume.

Some people may want to cut short the holiday, and if the client says "it's start this week on £500 a day for the next three months but you can't delay the start at all" then I can understand why that would be tempting to head home and take the role rather than saying "sod that, I'll rock up when I want to - like it or lump it".

It's always the choice of the director whether the company will accept the role or not, but to presume that it's dodgy to want to start work as soon as possible seems more than a little stupid IMHO.
    The poster has history of asking "odd" questions so what do you expect people to think?

Also the OP knows he may have to return to start work so commonsense would be to buy a flexible ticket in the first place to save money.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How nice it must be to always be in a position where you can turn down work and / or risk not getting a long-term contract by telling them that you won't start until the end of your holiday - but maybe you should remember that not everyone is in the luxurious position that you and NLUK seem to presume.

Some people may want to cut short the holiday, and if the client says "it's start this week on £500 a day for the next three months but you can't delay the start at all" then I can understand why that would be tempting to head home and take the role rather than saying "sod that, I'll rock up when I want to - like it or lump it".

It's always the choice of the director whether the company will accept the role or not, but to presume that it's dodgy to want to start work as soon as possible seems more than a little stupid IMHO.
      If the director thinks it’s OK to go away for a 3+ month holiday, then why is he applying for work while on his holiday?
      If the funds are that tight, then he shouldn’t have booked such a long trip away if he knew that he’d need to fly home early.

So either the director should not have planned to be away fro so long, or he should be taking a break from work, while his BTL and online retail companies bring in enough money that he can continue his retirement (as he put in his other threads recently).

But if you’re happy that one month into this holiday of a lifetime, that he wants to cut it short by trying to find a new contract, that’s OK. His other threads don’t back that up, nor does his lack of answering simple questions.
      He wants us to be his accountant.
      He wants us all to say “Sure, book your tickets now, fly home and maybe get an interview” or something like that.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Is it worth pointing this post out?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2299279

Bolstering his UK presence? But he's not in the UK for a couple of months? Connected?

Where does the OP actually live?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 30 October 2017, 22:32.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Also the OP knows he may have to return to start work so commonsense would be to buy a flexible ticket in the first place to save money.
          Common sense has no place in tax law
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Here’s another couple of scenarios:
            1. Goes on holiday of a lifetime but massively under-budgets. 1 month in he has run out of cash and has decided to fly back now, broke. Rather than staying in cheap hotels, decides to finish the holiday with a bit of style and fly business class.

2. Goes on holiday of a lifetime with friend(s). They really don’t get on well on the trip. Decides that rather than spending another couple of months with nightmare company, cut his losses.

Comment

I'm thinking OP is fairly young and has no particular home so travelling or having a fairly nomadic lifestyle but comes back to the UK when he finds work. Not uncommon for our offshore friends for example.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Here’s another couple of scenarios:
                1. Goes on holiday of a lifetime but massively under-budgets. 1 month in he has run out of cash and has decided to fly back now, broke. Rather than staying in cheap hotels, decides to finish the holiday with a bit of style and fly business class.

2. Goes on holiday of a lifetime with friend(s). They really don’t get on well on the trip. Decides that rather than spending another couple of months with nightmare company, cut his losses.
                And in those scenarios, there would be no business requirement, it would fall foul of the expenses rules and obviously wouldn't be a valid business expense.

So it seems your point is the same as mine - in some cases it's a valid expense and in others it's not (the same as Maslins said a while back).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And in those scenarios, there would be no business requirement, it would fall foul of the expenses rules and obviously wouldn't be a valid business expense.

So it seems your point is the same as mine - in some cases it's a valid expense and in others it's not (the same as Maslins said a while back).
                  Yes, but if the OP is looking for a definitive yes or no from us (which he appears to be wanting), until he is honest and shares all the facts then I would err on the side of caution

Comment

Yes!! Go for it!

/thread

Comment

Working...
                    X