• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeAgent

Holy hell - I've always been a huge fan of the SJD Spreadsheet, but I'm loving FreeAgent! Can't believe I've been without it for so long.

Yup. Same
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's awesome. My brother has a business partnership and he was telling me earlier today about how he uses spreadsheets and reminders in Outlook to help him with VAT and bills. I had to laugh. I'm going to recommend he try the 30 day FA trial.

Comment

Yep. I couldn't agree more. FreeAgent is absolutely brilliant, makes life so much easier for both a contractor and an accountant! Hence why I will be recommending it to everyone and using it daily [emoji12]
        We're all ears!

Comment

Freeagent

Most definitely, although we support Xero, Sageone and others as well, Freeagent is the preferred software of choice with many of us providing it as part of the package as it helps both client and accountant as Louisa says.

Comment

FreeAgent is definitely the best accounting software I've used for contractors and very small businesses IMHO.

For bigger businesses with more complicated accounting needs, sometimes Xero is a better fit, but FreeAgent is generally a great option for contractors.

Comment

I took the trial a few weeks back, and it does look good. I didn't set up the bank connection which is something I wanted to try (it involved phoning Barclays and I CBA'd), and I could never quite establish whether it would do the things I was looking into for a potential plan B.

I guess if you're paying an accountant and they offer it for free then it's a no-brainer. But personally for a one-invoice per month contractor business I'd stick with the old (free) spreadsheet and save the £30pm.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I took the trial a few weeks back, and it does look good. I didn't set up the bank connection which is something I wanted to try (it involved phoning Barclays and I CBA'd), and I could never quite establish whether it would do the things I was looking into for a potential plan B.

I guess if you're paying an accountant and they offer it for free then it's a no-brainer. But personally for a one-invoice per month contractor business I'd stick with the old (free) spreadsheet and save the £30pm.
                Personally I think the £30pm would pay for itself* especially if you can negotiate a slightly lower rate with your accountant and take responsibility for updating your books, submitting your payroll and VAT returns (which FreeAgent makes easy).

Highlighted bit - what things were you looking for?

*I guess its easy for me to say as I haven't had to pay for FreeAgent for about 7 years, in fact I get paid to use it

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Highlighted bit - what things were you looking for?
                  Basically sell something on a website using Paypal. My own site generates the invoices, and Paypal collects the money, common enough thing to do.

The question is how to get that into FreeAgent. FreeAgent integrates with Paypal, but all the guides I could find said you had to create an invoice in FreeAgent and then your customer could pay with Paypal, but that would mean doing it all manually. There's a FreeAgent API that allows you to create invoices programmatically, but I read a few complaints from people doing similar things that the API doesn't allow you to set the payment method, and because of that it doesn't tally up.

It'd be great if it worked. Put your feet up whilst your website, FreeAgent and Paypal all get on with running your business. But I wasn't sure if it would.

Doesn't seem likely the plan will come off now, but it was interesting thinking about it all.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Basically sell something on a website using Paypal. My own site generates the invoices, and Paypal collects the money, common enough thing to do.

The question is how to get that into FreeAgent. FreeAgent integrates with Paypal, but all the guides I could find said you had to create an invoice in FreeAgent and then your customer could pay with Paypal, but that would mean doing it all manually. There's a FreeAgent API that allows you to create invoices programmatically, but I read a few complaints from people doing similar things that the API doesn't allow you to set the payment method, and because of that it doesn't tally up.

It'd be great if it worked. Put your feet up whilst your website, FreeAgent and Paypal all get on with running your business. But I wasn't sure if it would.

Doesn't seem likely the plan will come off now, but it was interesting thinking about it all.
                    We'd suggest just not bothering with the "invoice" on FreeAgent. Explain the receipt into the bank just as sales. This does mean FreeAgent won't know how much you're owed from those customers, or if one doesn't pay, but presumably if they don't pay they don't get the item and nobody gets credit terms, so not an issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X