• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by worriedtony View Post
    Hi, just signed up after reading this, as I'm wondering what advise you'd all give to a current FB client?
    Don’t give anyone direct access to your bank account.
    Don’t give your accountant cash to pay the taxman.

That’s for any accountant.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi, just signed up after reading this, as I'm wondering what advise you'd all give to a current FB client?
      You have to trust your accountant. If you feel they have not been honest or careful enough, move on to one you do trust. It's your business you're protecting, not theirs.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Sorry, that's not enough.

Check Companies House to make sure your annual return has been filed properly.

Check your online account with HMRC to confirm your Corporation Tax return is filed timely AND that it matches the CT return which you were given and signed. If it should show less tax due, and a refund being claimed when you claimed none, contact HMRC immediately.

Even with an accountant you trust, verify everything.

But to be clear, you don't have to give access to your bank account to have a problem. If your 'agent' (accountant) tells you to pay X, and you pay it, and then files a return showing Y is due, and claims a refund from HMRC (because you 'overpaid') and they pay that refund in a way that he can access it, you've got a mess. When the truth comes out they'll want their money back.

If you want to be really safe, I suppose you could not authorise your accountant as your agent, pay him to prepare your returns, and file them yourself. But you're probably ok if you verify everything, and let him know that's your policy. If you get a crooked accountant he'll target someone who won't catch it for a while rather than the guy who will catch it within a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
          What does it say? I tried a couple of variations of his email but no OOO.

DJU was a Leeds fan I believe.
          No he was a Newcastle Fan

See last post here:
          https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...6-years-2.html

Originally posted by Lance View Post

As said by WordIsBond that wasn't enough, the key of his fraud was the ability to be an agent for your affairs with HMRC allowing him to "act on your behalf" including directing "refunds" to fake accounts. He did that for clients who noticed the payment details he sent were wrong. So he even emptied the money out of HMRC accounts using their processes. They have no duty of care, you told them he is acting on your behalf, so you owe them the money that was stolen. How would you protect against that?

Again as said above "Even with an accountant you trust, verify everything."
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 19 March 2019, 00:02.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

As the guys have already mentioned, it's all about trust. You need to ask yourself whether you have enough trust in FB acting in your best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Sorry, that's not enough.

Check Companies House to make sure your annual return has been filed properly.

Check your online account with HMRC to confirm your Corporation Tax return is filed timely AND that it matches the CT return which you were given and signed. If it should show less tax due, and a refund being claimed when you claimed none, contact HMRC immediately.

Even with an accountant you trust, verify everything.

But to be clear, you don't have to give access to your bank account to have a problem. If your 'agent' (accountant) tells you to pay X, and you pay it, and then files a return showing Y is due, and claims a refund from HMRC (because you 'overpaid') and they pay that refund in a way that he can access it, you've got a mess. When the truth comes out they'll want their money back.

If you want to be really safe, I suppose you could not authorise your accountant as your agent, pay him to prepare your returns, and file them yourself. But you're probably ok if you verify everything, and let him know that's your policy. If you get a crooked accountant he'll target someone who won't catch it for a while rather than the guy who will catch it within a week or two.
              Thanks all! Great advice.
              I hadn't given direct access to bank accounts and had been verifying most things, but hadn't thought about the refund aspect, so this is really helpful!
              Also, good point about trust!
              Thanks very much everyone!

Comment

Back when it all kicked off with Darren Upton, my other half phoned the police to find out what was going on.

They told her that Darren was giving out his own bank account details (or his companies) and telling them that they were HMRC's new details for tax payments.

So as well as the above - never use bank details given to you by a 3rd party without verifying them first.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

For all those who hand over everything go agents/accountants, do you still have access to your online HMRC account?

This will always give you your full position with HMRC, payments, refunds etc

Last edited by SimonMac; 20 March 2019, 09:51.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's also worth setting up a watch with Companies House on your own account so that you get an alert whenever anything gets filed there.
                    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Corporation Tax Authorisation

Also, just for clarity, if your registered office is at your accountants (i'd probably say most companies are) then their authorisation for corporation tax is almost automatic. The authorisation code for corporation tax is sent to the registered office, therefore, this is by default going to the accountants anyway. I wouldn't say this is an issue as all the actions I believe Darren took last time could be done without authorisation anyway so doesn't prevent anything.

I would say, double check where you are paying taxes to and get yourself an online account so you can check submissions/payments yourself.

Martin
                      Contratax Ltd

Comment

Working...
                      X