• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    and we have been criticised before for not taking decisive legal action which went against us in the JR. So lets get the wagons rolling!!
    If litigation is in progress it makes retrospective legislation more difficult, I guess because it would be seen as subverting the courts.

When S58 was passed the government could deny that litigation was in progress because they'd dropped our FTTT cases earlier. This was asked in the committee stage.

Mind you can't see them trying the retrospection angle again.

Comment

Originally posted by tendo71 View Post
      I take your point.

What would I do? Look to settle as they did with George.
      Settling with one guy, for a few grand, on the QT is one thing.

Settling with several hundred would take a lot more explaining.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        The additional Class 4 NIC is just under 5%.

The accrued interest is the real killer though.

2001/2 - 64%
        2002/3 - 57%
        2003/4 - 51%
        2004/5 - 44%
        2005/6 - 37%
        2006/7 - 30%
        2007/8 - 22%
        and sorry - but what date is interst from ?

is it jan 31 when the tax return was due of later

so take 04/05 - tax return due jan 31 06 (I think) and when would the tax be due ? just think someone in hte CTD office may have told me a few porkies earlier ... like interst accures for jan 1 ... so according to her interest was for 4/5 woudl satrt on Jna 1 06

Comment

Settling with one guy, for a few grand, on the QT is one thing.

Settling with several hundred would take a lot more explaining.
          they will not settle ... of that i have been very very very assured. Would not even go for - if i pay the apn now can we call it quits (so no inters/ni etc) nada .... dont waste your time

Comment

Out of curiosity, what was George's liability?

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
              and sorry - but what date is interst from ?

is it jan 31 when the tax return was due of later

so take 04/05 - tax return due jan 31 06 (I think) and when would the tax be due ? just think someone in hte CTD office may have told me a few porkies earlier ... like interst accures for jan 1 ... so according to her interest was for 4/5 woudl satrt on Jna 1 06
              Depends on your exact circumstances, in particular what you owed in previous years. In my first year on the scheme 01/02 the tax was due 31 Jan 2003. For the next year 50% of this amount was due 31 Jan 2003 and the rest 31 July 2003, with a balancing payment for any excess over this for what I earnt in 02/03 payable 31 Jan 2004. And I would also have to make a payment on account at this point for the 03/04 year.

So to answer you question it depends!! However, if you assume that 50% of your 04/05 liability was due 31 Jan 2005 and the rest 31 July 2005 you will not end up under estimating the interest. That is the tax may have been due prior to 31 Jan 2006.
              Last edited by bananarepublic; 28 April 2015, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
                Depends on your exact circumstances, in particular what you owed in previous years. In my first year on the scheme 01/02 the tax was due 31 Jan 2003. For the next year 50% of this amount was due 31 Jan 2003 and the rest 31 July 2003, with a balancing payment for any excess over this for what I earnt in 02/03 payable 31 Jan 2004. And I would also have to make a payment on account at this point for the 03/04 year.

So to answer you question it depends!! However, if you assume that 50% of your 04/05 liability was due 31 Jan 2005 and the rest 31 July 2005 you will not end up overestimating the interest. That is the tax may have been due prior to 31 Jan 2006.
                With the figures I gave above I've attempted to take this into account. I don't guarantee that they are 100% spot on but they are near enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post

So to answer you question it depends!! However, if you assume that 50% of your 04/05 liability was due 31 Jan 2005 and the rest 31 July 2005 you will not end up under estimating the interest. That is the tax may have been due prior to 31 Jan 2006.

Really so you owed the tax before you earn the money !!!!! yuo have ot pay interst on money before you got it - please dont scare me

Comment

The additional Class 4 NIC is just under 5%.

The accrued interest is the real killer though.

2001/2 - 64%
                    2002/3 - 57%
                    2003/4 - 51%
                    2004/5 - 44%
                    2005/6 - 37%
                    2006/7 - 30%
                    2007/8 - 22%
                    An APN excludes interest, right? So if you can pay the APN now, but only just, but you can't possibly pay all the interest / penalties as well should they eventually "win", and you would then have to go bankrupt, what on earth is the point of paying the APN now? You may as well tootle off to Vegas and put it all on black!

Comment

With the figures I gave above I've attempted to take this into account. I don't guarantee that they are 100% spot on but they are near enough.
                      thinkg is im trying to work it out with CTD dates thrown in the pot

Comment

Working...
                      X