• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I think it's best if everyone waits to read the letter from our advisors CCW to HMRC.

This goes into it all in great detail, and the detail is important.

(1) why the contractor is not liable to tax & nic
    (2) who is liable
    (3) why HMRC are out of time to collect anything off anyone
    Surely we could use these arguments as a response to any APNs.

As in \/ HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

As in \/ HMRC
      It's a possibility. As well as the George argument, we are also consulting with CCW about APNs.

There's also the Montpelier JR to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I think it's best if everyone waits to read the letter from our advisors CCW to HMRC.

This goes into it all in great detail, and the detail is important.

(1) why the contractor is not liable to tax & nic
        (2) who is liable
        (3) why HMRC are out of time to collect anything off anyone

I am currently pestering the hell out of anyone that has yet to join NTRT !!.

Comment

APN

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

As in \/ HMRC

If we cannot suspend the APN, I am thinking I could see if I could make an agreement to start paying a monthly amount (What is a DPP? | Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) and then if we are win I would hopefully get the amount paid returned. this would mean I wouldn't be made bankrupt and keep house.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
            If we cannot suspend the APN, I am thinking I could see if I could make an agreement to start paying a monthly amount (What is a DPP? | Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) and then if we are win I would hopefully get the amount paid returned. this would mean I wouldn't be made bankrupt and keep house.
            Yep, personally I dont think ANYONE should hand over massive wad of cash. Use as TTP agreement while were in this holding pattern. Thats my approach anyway.

and PS - I would happily contribute to a "pay 50% of Georges liability" if we end up paying zero.

PPS - TGE you sure you are ready to push the button on selling your house at the moment? is TTP discussion not an option as a holding position?
            Last edited by smalldog; 20 March 2015, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
              From what I've heard: They ask if you received the APN. If you say no they arrange to send a replacement (and don't ask anything about payment).

Not sure what happens if you say you received it.
              They ask whether you understand it. And when you reply "Yes I do understand it"
              They then say, "Ah good, do you have any other questions......"

That's when I told them to "**** off"

Comment

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post

Everyone reply "Je suis George" ... shows them we have an army.

Comment

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post

I would have said, "Yes... can you tell me your personal address and when your likely to be in?".
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionRovers View Post
                    Everyone reply "Je suis George" ... shows them we have an army.
                    I think there's three words that strike fear into HMRC.

1) DR
                    2) NTRT
                    3) PCG/IPSE

Comment

Thing is, IF this George thing comes off it will be a massive number of people who would be receiving APN's that are then found to be invalid. The financial consequences to these individuals could be massive, together with the policy maker that implemented it, i.e. GAUKE!

I hope Gauke is dragged by his hair to justify to the implication that HMRC always win anyway. Hopefully he will be forced to resign for basically concocting this.

I am patiently waiting for the newsletter and sure this isnt the only part of the equation however:

Any debt can become statute barred if you have not made a payment towards it and have not acknowledged that you owe the money during the relevant time period (6 years for most debts and 12 years for mortgage debt).
                      Even debts owed where you have not actually borrowed the money such as Council tax and HMRC arrears can become statute barred under section 9 of the Limitation Act which covers amounts due under statute.
                      However it is important to be aware that normally a creditor will take action against you to collect the debt that they are owed before enough time has passed to allow it to become statute barred.
                      Last edited by smalldog; 20 March 2015, 11:25.

Comment

Working...
                      X