• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-546772

"HMRC has settled the tax due for 457 scheme users. Fewer than 5 such cases were closed by HMRC (for nil) due to an administrative error. The remainder of the 457 cases were settled on HMRC's view that the scheme failed in its purpose. For the avoidance of doubt, HMRC does not accept that the scheme worked in the cases closed in error."

Apart from the fewer than 5 closed in error, they will never reveal how many of the other 452 received a discount.
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 18 March 2015, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

[I]Apart from the fewer than 5 closed in error, they will never reveal how many of the other 452 received a discount.
      Would Montpellier know this information? Presumably they would have had to contact them to close there account.

My assumption would be that the majority of these would have been small liabilities (<50k) who didn't have the stomach for the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        My assumption would be that the majority of these would have been small liabilities (<50k) who didn't have the stomach for the fight.
        My alleged liability is small but I'm still not paying without a fight. What the government and HRMC have done and how they have done it is immoral. Someone needs to hold them to account. The courts and the ombudsman haven't so its down to us voters and tax payers to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
          Would Montpellier know this information? Presumably they would have had to contact them to close there account.

Montpelier.

Unlikely - given how much HMRC appear to dislike Montpelier, I'd imagine any "deal" will have been done with HMRC insisting it remain entirely confidential.

Do you actually think Montpelier would be quiet about something like that anyway? Clearly it would be in their best interests to help people do deals if deals were available.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

"HMRC has settled the tax due for 457 scheme users. Fewer than 5 such cases were closed by HMRC (for nil) due to an administrative error. The remainder of the 457 cases were settled on HMRC's view that the scheme failed in its purpose. For the avoidance of doubt, HMRC does not accept that the scheme worked in the cases closed in error."

Apart from the fewer than 5 closed in error, they will never reveal how many of the other 452 received a discount.
            I'd be surprised if many have received a discount. I've been trying to negotiate politely and independently a few times over the last few years (last time about 2 months ago) but HMRC have given no encouragement.

I don't know for sure but I feel that I would have had a better chance if Montpelier were on better terms with HMRC.

Comment

My fantasy that because of recent developments a last minute clause was placed in the budget to amend the 2008 s58 retrospective element...
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                My fantasy that because of recent developments a last minute clause was placed in the budget to amend the 2008 s58 retrospective element...
                Dream on....

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                  I'd be surprised if many have received a discount. I've been trying to negotiate politely and independently a few times over the last few years (last time about 2 months ago) but HMRC have given no encouragement.
                  Which is why the George deal is so significant.

HMRC would not have caved in if he hadn't had them over a barrel.

And we're not just talking a few % knocked off either. He got a substantial discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                    I don't know for sure but I feel that I would have had a better chance if Montpelier were on better terms with HMRC.
                    You mean kowtow to the HMRC bully? How does that work then?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

We know HMRC took George seriously because they issued some formal notices to try and protect their position. I can't reveal what those notices were but they were significant.

I can only presume HMRC were counting on George keeping quiet. I suspect they had little choice but to settle because they couldn't afford the risk of him going to the FTT.

In other words, settling was probably their least worst option.
                      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 18 March 2015, 12:20.

Comment

Working...
                      X