• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    I'm listening to the budget. Next on the hit list are umbrellas, agencies so as to protect those that are 'genuinely self-employed'. Wonder where that one is going. Lot's about unacceptable aggressive tax avoidance and people not paying their fair share. Obviously transferring the family assets into offshore trusts to avoid £1.6m in tax is acceptable aggressive tax avoidance then. Eh George?
    Just heard that - and all those guys who said that they were safe, that they weren't "avoiding" tax like the BN66 people - just claiming the expenses they legally could. Bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      You said it.

When he first contacted us we thought it was a wind up. We were very sceptical until he showed us the evidence.

HMRC have admitted settling with him (they could hardly deny it) but claimed his circumstances were special and unique. However, there is nothing unusual about his circumstances. He was just a contractor like the rest of us.
      Unique as in was willing to pay something rather than make them out to be fools in FTT and higher tribunals..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Nice

BBC News - The country where you can choose your tax rate

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          You mean kowtow to the HMRC bully? How does that work then?
          No, I mean maintain a good working relationship with HMRC, to the ultimate benefit of themselves and all their clients.
          OK that ship has sailed, but they need to start building a relationship again if they plan to remain in business.
          Last edited by Retro; 18 March 2015, 16:00. Reason: Adding to Post.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
            No, I mean maintain a good working relationship with HMRC, to the ultimate benefit of themselves and all their clients.
            OK that ship has sailed, but they need to start building a relationship again if they plan to remain in business.
            The only organisation I know that has the concept of "customers" as they like to call us, as always being in the wrong until proven otherwise. The customer is not king or always right in their line of work, quote the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              The only organisation I know that has the concept of "customers" as they like to call us, as always being in the wrong until proven otherwise. The customer is not king or always right in their line of work, quote the opposite.
              HMRC's definition of "customer" is the same as referred to by local councils, rail operators, B&Q stores and Basil Fawlty.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88d816f6-c...#axzz3Ul4LSYho

Comment

I can't access this. What was it about?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I can't access this. What was it about?
                    You can read ft articles for free by going to www.Google. com and then entering the url of the article In the search box. Then click on the first link in the search results..

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                      You can read ft articles for free by going to www.Google. com and then entering the url of the article In the search box. Then click on the first link in the search results..
                      Thanks.

PS. we've now had 19 new members join NTRT this week.

We're on a roll.

Comment

Working...
                      X