• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    No because the George argument takes precedence over the DTA claim.

That's why the George argument works in our favour now. It has nothing to do with BN66/S58.
    I'm starting to feel a bit excited about this.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanvaljean View Post
      Lucky HMRC don't have a time machine.

Shhh don't give them ideas. They could do another retrospective tax law change to change the last retrospective tax law change again to make it work like they now want having thought about it some more but having effect forever backwards in time. At least the mad professor in "back to the future" was likeable...

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
        I'm starting to feel a bit excited about this.
        Steady!
        I remember feeling quite optimistic after the first day in court for the JR. Overnight everything went south in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
          Will the details of the George aruguement be published on the NTRT website? Presumably its not secret since HMRC already have been presented with the arguement.

Also, what was the settlement that George got?
          It was around 50% of his total liability (tax+interest).

The George argument will be revealed in the next newsletter - first week of April.

Comment

Roll on April

It was around 50%.

The George argument will be revealed in the next newsletter - first week of April.
            #jesuisgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
              Steady!
              I remember feeling quite optimistic after the first day in court for the JR. Overnight everything went south in a big way.
              Indeed.

HMRC will fight tooth and claw against us. Be under no illusions this will get bloody.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                No, I mean maintain a good working relationship with HMRC, to the ultimate benefit of themselves and all their clients.
                OK that ship has sailed, but they need to start building a relationship again if they plan to remain in business.
                That's just not going to happen though is it?

HMRC 'You owe us this money.'
                You \ me \ us 'No I dont. I used a legal tax planning scheme and legally avoided paying the tax you deemed due.'
                HMRC 'No, we made your scheme illegal. Now pay up with interest and penalties. And if you dont, we'll send in the baliffs.'
                You \ me \ us 'I disagree.'
                HMRC 'Pay up xyz by abc or else.'
                You \ me \ us 'Cant we do this amicably?'
                HMRC 'Hello, Bloggs Baliffs, we've a job for you.....'
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Surprised he didn't hold out. That's still a lot of dosh for me!

Comment

Hopefully not dated 1st April

Comment

Request from Chairman of NTRT

Can everyone make sure their profile is up to date.

Especially Email Address and Scheme Promoter

Members Profile

Thanks
                      DR

Comment

Working...
                      X