• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    It was around 50% of his total liability (tax+interest).

The George argument will be revealed in the next newsletter - first week of April.
    Hmm, I think I have a pretty good idea what the arugement might be.

So, as I understand it -

George paid 50%.

Option 1
    Georges argument has a 75% chance of success (subjective) at FTT. Win = we pay nothing.
    - Can HMRC 'deny' us the chance of going to FTT; or is the guarenteed?

Option 2
    We avoid FTT and agree settlement with HMRC.
    - What is our 'entitlement' to the 50% George deal? Are they legally obliged to offer us the same deal? If not; would options are available to challenge this?

Comment

It was around 50% of his total liability (tax+interest).

The George argument will be revealed in the next newsletter - first week of April.
      That's 50% more than I have.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        Hmm, I think I have a pretty good idea what the arugement might be.

So, as I understand it -

George paid 50%.

Option 1
        Georges argument has a 75% chance of success (subjective) at FTT. Win = we pay nothing.
        - Can HMRC 'deny' us the chance of going to FTT; or is the guarenteed?

Option 2
        We avoid FTT and agree settlement with HMRC.
        - What is our 'entitlement' to the 50% George deal? Are they legally obliged to offer us the same deal? If not; would options are available to challenge this?
        Going to the FTT is your legal right. There wouldn't be much point in having an independent tribunal system if HMRC could stop people using it. (Although, arguably, APNs are an attempt to hamper people's ability to pursue their case.)

There is no entitlement to the same terms as George. As I recall, in the survey we did at Xmas, 25% got the most votes but there was a spread of 0%, 50%, 75%.

HMRC will be extremely reluctant to do any form of settlement. We may have no choice but to push the big red button.

Comment

Request from Chairman of NTRT

Can everyone make sure their profile is up to date.

Especially Email Address and Scheme Promoter

Members Profile

Thanks
          DR
          I can login OK but can't seem to edit my profile; I just stay on the "members-area" page. I am clicking the dropdown against my username and choosing "Edit My Profile" but nothing seems to happen.
          I have tried it with Firefox, Chrome, and (yuk) IE9.
          Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
            I can login OK but can't seem to edit my profile; I just stay on the "members-area" page. I am clicking the dropdown against my username and choosing "Edit My Profile" but nothing seems to happen.
            Any thoughts?
            Users the 'Member's Area' drop down not the Username one.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
              Any thoughts?
              Have you tried it from the Members Area drop-down?

Alternatively, try clicking on this:

Members Profile

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                That's 50% more than I have.
                I'm slowly coming to the view that 0% (nothing to pay) is the right outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                  Users the 'Member's Area' drop down not the Username one.
                  Ah that works! Great, thanks!

Comment

Interesting...

I'm slowly coming to the view that 0% (nothing to pay) is the right outcome.
                    Interesting DR, are you able to expand on your thoughts, or are they best kept private (which is fine!)

Grip

Comment

Originally posted by GripRacing View Post
                      Interesting DR, are you able to expand on your thoughts, or are they best kept private (which is fine!)

Grip
                      The only reason George agreed to settle was because he was on his own and would have had to fund the FTT by himself.

We're not in that position.

As a number of people have said to me "why would we settle, and pay any of this obscene retrospective tax, when the odds are heavily in our favour?"

Comment

Working...
                      X