• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    I agree.

Personally, my life has been put on hold for the fast 12 years. Things I could have done, I'll never be able to now. Even if we win, we have all paid a heavy price that goes beyond money. While they continue to come after us, we have every right to fight back using whatever means we legally can, and I fully back NTRTs approach. If this ends, then I would also like to just move on. 12 years of my life obsessing about this sorry mess is long enough, I just want to leave it behind. Until that point comes though, we meet fire with fire.
    WHS, my life has been put on hold in some areas and worst still has taken a retrograde step (divorce due to stress) back in 2008. I cant wait for the day that I dont have to check these boards for S58. Will be weird but a nice weird as Im now such a creature of habit with all of this. Not a day goes by quite literally this isnt on my mind. It makes me wonder what else I could have achieved in my professional and personal life had this not been niggling away at my every thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      That wouldn't be helpful.

Remember what I keep repeating. Delay only benefits HMRC.

We're hoping to have everything in place in the next week to 10 days, so fingers crossed.

We are treating this as urgent and pressing.

Good, thanks DR.

If we can help in any way please let me know.

Grip.

Comment

That wouldn't be helpful.

Remember what I keep repeating. Delay only benefits HMRC.

We're hoping to have everything in place in the next week to 10 days, so fingers crossed.

We are treating this as urgent and pressing.
        Any mileage in writing a short letter to HMRC stating we want to change the reason for our appeal due to George. Including a very brief summary and saying details will follow?

As I recall the judgement was due in April so is now overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
          Any mileage in writing a short letter to HMRC stating we want to change the reason for our appeal due to George. Including a very brief summary and saying details will follow?

As I recall the judgement was due in April so is now overdue.
          Don't do that.

Given the tone of the meeting, CCW think HMRC's response would be to unleash the dogs.

Comment

Don't do that.

Given the tone of the meeting, CCW think HMRC's response would be to unleash the dogs.
            What does that actually entail?

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
              What does that actually entail?
              What, you mean "unleashing the dogs"? Well they've already made veiled threats of fraud investigations.

Comment

Things are moving fast but this is where we're at currently.

1) Our current advisors CCW have agreed to act as agent for all our members.
                2) Members will have to register and pay a fee to CCW for this if they want to appeal on the basis of TAA. (As I mentioned previously, at this stage, NTRT cannot act as professional advisors, so it is better that the money is paid directly to CCW)
                3) CCW will lodge all the FTT applications.

We hope to have most of this in place next week. Once we're set to go, NTRT will issue a newsletter.

Comment

Things are moving fast but this is where we're at currently.

1) Our current advisors CCW have agreed to act as agent for all our members.
                  2) Members will have to register and pay a fee to CCW for this if they want to appeal on the basis of TAA. (As I mentioned previously, at this stage, NTRT cannot act as professional advisors, so it is better that the money is paid directly to CCW)
                  3) CCW will lodge all the FTT applications.

We hope to have most of this in place next week. Once we're set to go, NTRT will issue a newsletter.
                  I know you're not, and I know you wouldn't...but you should really be getting a salary for all the work you and Santa and the others do! The level of gratitude expressed on here I suspect is only the tip of what people feel. Thank you.

Have you guys heard anything about MTM and the JR against APNs?
                  Last edited by Britspud; 1 May 2015, 13:05. Reason: Forgot the question...

Comment

What, you mean "unleashing the dogs"? Well they've already made veiled threats of fraud investigations.
                    I suspect that if HMRC wish to follow through on their threat, then each member who makes the application will get a COP 9.

That then allows HMRC considerable freedom to request all sorts of things from bank accounts, through court orders to credit card bills to which internet sites you pay for. In other words a full drains up investigation.

That is double edged to a degree because it takes considerable HMRC resource.

You will also have your files marked as such and any year not presently under enquiry but in time will be opened and all tax returns submitted from now also enquired into.

HMRC may threaten to write to third parties about you (employer, agent, mortgage company, credit scoring agency, etc) asking for information (and by implication casting aspersions).

They may contact your accountant/agent. Check your VAT compliance. Check your NIC records. Look at your benefit claims.

Make no mistake that HMRC's reach is long and all they need is an allegation of fraud. Hopefully CCW will either engage a law firm as required or have the internal resources to resist such invidious excursion into your life.

So when DR mentions unleashing dogs, these bite and bark.

Be prepared.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Britspud View Post
                      I know you're not, and I know you wouldn't...but you should really be getting a salary for all the work you and Santa and the others do! The level of gratitude expressed on here I suspect is only the tip of what people feel. Thank you.

Have you guys heard anything about MTM and the JR against APNs?
                      Thanks.

No, we haven't heard anything about the JR. But Montpelier have provided a letter for some people to send to HMRC which refers to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X