• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    District line from Upminster to monument, northern line to Euston - take about an hour but its cheap and actually quite pleasant a lot of the ride.

But yeah, I'm sure there's spots in north London for same plan. Maybe around Hendon. In Colindale there are lots of industrial zones where you could park up for a while.
    So the OP not only has to add on the cost of a room but travel from zone 6 to zone 1.

He may as well stay in zone 1 or 2.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

District line from Upminster to monument, northern line to Euston - take about an hour but its cheap and actually quite pleasant a lot of the ride.

But yeah, I'm sure there's spots in north London for same plan. Maybe around Hendon. In Colindale there are lots of industrial zones where you could park up for a while.
      District to Aldgate East and wait on same platform for Met/Ham/Circ to Euston Square. Saves feeling stabby trying to get out of Euston.

Potentially rent a room in a house rather than a whole apartment. Main thing to consider is that you are within walking distance of Warren Street and Kings Cross as well as Euston, so get something on any one of those lines. Euston Square is a much easier station to exit than Euston though.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
        Thanks for the offer but I think I would rather "my own place" rather than sharing...
        Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You obviously not looked at the costs of a room in London let alone a studio flat.
        Exactly Sue. I hope OP hasnt accepted a rate based on his expectation of what accomodation might cost in London!

I understand the reason for wanting your own space Gareth but you won't 'own' the place - you are here on business so keep the end goal in mind. Don't fall into the trap of paying heaps for trendy London accomodation.

BTW I have been informed by my business partner that our last room has now been taken and we have nothing available until January.
        Last edited by ChimpMaster; 30 November 2016, 06:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Exactly Sue. I hope OP hasnt accepted a rate based on his expectation of what accomodation might cost in London!

I understand the reason for wanting your own soace Gareth but you won't 'own' the place - you are here on business so keep the end goal in mind. Don't fall into the trap of paying heaps for trendy London accomodation.

BTW I have been informed by my business partner that our last room has now been taken and we have nothing available until January.
          If the client is Network Rail, they aren't the best payers, or maybe its Santander, pretty much the same
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            So the OP not only has to add on the cost of a room but travel from zone 6 to zone 1.

He may as well stay in zone 1 or 2.
            Cost of a room? Im advising he buy a motorhome for 5k (sell for 3k at the end) and spend 2k a year on the underground. A room would be 50 quid per night (10k per year).

He's skint. He as good as said that.

Comment

And actually I would recommend Essex as a place to park it. There is some very nice countryside around there not far from Upminster underground (maybe a 10 minute bike ride). If you get any hassle bung the farmer a few quid. During austerity these things happen.
              Money saving tips from the guy who earns so much he doesn't run a LTD.

Who would have thought it, I'm surprised you haven't suggested The Savoy, as a temporary residence, to the OP
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Money saving tips from the guy who earns so much he doesn't run a LTD.

Who would have thought it, I'm surprised you haven't suggested The Savoy, as a temporary residence, to the OP
                Yeah. Living in London is very expensive. There are already people living in the city. It is even getting serious hard for health workers, nurses and care staff, school teachers and social workers to live in the capital city. The mind boggles at ClientCo's hiring strategy, if the OP's client couldn't find the talent in someone local to the place of work for the decent and affordable rate. Sounds like they are going fast and cheap on this contract, I am afraid. For mid-level software development, e.g. PHP or Java or JavaScript, I would work at least £450 per day in the client living in Zone 1.

Yesterday, I had a speculative enquiry phone call from an agent asking about Sweden. (I rejected it.) Different country, different capital city, but the same fundamental issue. If there is severe distance between your home and your ClientCo, know your target Client Co's local economy, cost of living and affordability, before making that commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                  For mid-level software development, e.g. PHP or Java or JavaScript, I would work at least £450 per day in the client living in Zone 1.
                  The agreed rate is above that.

Has anybody had any experience with AirBnB?

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                    The agreed rate is above that.

Has anybody had any experience with AirBnB?
                    I've stayed at quite a few ranging from pretty average to very good. I knew the average ones would be at that level from the pictures but the cost reflected it so wasn't caught out.

On the whole it was a great experience but I'm not the type to sit with the householders and chat. In late, eat, watch a movie on the tablet and sleep so as long as the room and shower was decent I was fine.

Next gig away I'll be straight back on it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                      Yesterday, I had a speculative enquiry phone call from an agent asking about Sweden. (I rejected it.) Different country, different capital city, but the same fundamental issue. If there is severe distance between your home and your ClientCo, know your target Client Co's local economy, cost of living and affordability, before making that commitment.
                      Yeah but you've got to live a little and it's not for long. I'd be very interested in a gig like Sweden, particularly in the snow season. All I'd need is to earn enough to cover costs for the period and you've got a great experience. Contracting is a long and generally pretty well paid career. Nothing wrong with taking a hit on the expenses for a good life experience IMO.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X