• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for next gig while on client side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for next gig while on client side

The inevitable evil of looking for a next gig is necessity to answer flood of calls from agents. How do you guys answer their calls while being on client side?

Most of them go to voicemail.

The ones who are urgent send me an email. I then respond to them and ring them back. However I do bulk ringing.

Also as I tend to finish early I can answer all the early/late evening calls.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
      The inevitable evil of looking for a next gig is necessity to answer flood of calls from agents. How do you guys answer their calls while being on client side?
      It's not evil... It's part of your job being a contractor. Best bit of it IMO.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It's not evil... It's part of your job being a contractor. Best bit of it IMO.
        I quite agree
        I think the OP has got a case of not understanding he has his own business to promote and run, discussing leads for the next piece of work is part and parcel of doing so.

By all means if you feel guilty then give the client back the time by skipping lunch or working a bit later but the odd call to an agent ain't a crime.

But don't take the pee, spending 50% of the day on the phone dealing with business and personal relationships may be over doing it a bit, yep I carried quite a few PMs like that when I was a permie at HP.
        So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I remember when a client chopped 20 contractors in one hit. There were a dozen on the mobiles outside at any one time ;-).
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I take the call, ask them to wait a moment while I walk outside/find a quiet meeting room. People pop in and out for coffees etc. all the time, I just put it down to use of the same flexibility as long as you're not taking the piss.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              I remember when a client chopped 20 contractors in one hit. There were a dozen on the mobiles outside at any one time ;-).
              That client deserved it.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                I take the call, ask them to wait a moment while I walk outside/find a quiet meeting room. People pop in and out for coffees etc. all the time, I just put it down to use of the same flexibility as long as you're not taking the piss.
                I've contracted in places with no quiet areas so I've had to sit in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
                  How do you guys answer their calls while being on client side?
                  Client side? Do you mean client site?

Anyway, the answer is obvious. Discreetly. (And usually discretely as well).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If they know that your contract is coming to an end and they have no intention of extending, then they'll not be bothered about you trying to find a new gig as long as your work is getting done. If you feel that you need to make time up to cover the amount of time that you're on the phone then do so; it's important to still leave the door open for a return.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X