• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking for next gig while on client side"

Collapse

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I would but I want to look like a complete tit while I do it. How would you do it?
    Start taking calls between hymns?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Ohh Seanaaron, PC called you a bellend. You are not gonna stand up for that are, you having all this brass and that?
    NLUK mun !!!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Well that's not a place I'd likely enjoy working anyway. I mean that sounds like you're working with someone who needs medication.

I used to have guys in my team asking about someone else coming or going at different hours and my answer was that that was a matter between me and their colleague and none of their business, just get back to work and stop worrying about what other people are doing. It's bad enough having to spend 7-8hrs a day in a place without treating the workplace like an actual prison!
    No I will admit. But this is an extreme example.

But the point remains that its best not to do anything to upset the permies if you can.

Giving them the impression you're doing less work than them (whether true or not) and getting 2-3 times more pay (in their eyes) is sometimes enough to set off even the most chilled permie.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But would you be looking for a new parish whilst at the current one?
    I would but I want to look like a complete tit while I do it. How would you do it?

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    As long as I can invoice for it I ain't fussy.
    But would you be looking for a new parish whilst at the current one?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Or all three.
    As long as I can invoice for it I ain't fussy.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    You're like a scout master or a priest or a traffic cop on the side, right?
    Or all three.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Ohh Seanaaron, PC called you a bellend. You are not gonna stand up for that are, you having all this brass and that?
    You're like a scout master or a priest or a traffic cop on the side, right?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Wow seanaaron has managed to get Gables, PC and NLUK on the same side.

I need to go lie down.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    In my book, bottom line is you could be the most talented, resourceful person in the world, but if 2-3 permies moan to their boss that you're a bellend then you won't be staying at a client site.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yeh I didnt get this. Poster mentions they;re not paying sick leave etc as an excuse for wasting their paid time looking for further work? Doesnt add up.

Yes we all do it inc posting on here on clients time but jeez, no need to shove it in clients faces.

In my book, bottom line is you could be the most talented, resourceful person in the world, but if 2-3 permies moan to their boss that you're a bellend then you won't be staying at a client site.
    On the basis that PC gets it, I'm out too.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Fair enough but in my experience, permies can get upset about the stupidest things. Some people its any chance to moan about the contractor. I've worked in places where some of them took it upon themselves to write down (to the minute) the time I arrived and left each day and report back. Also, one guy gave manager a list of websites he'd seen me visited each day (i.e. about 3).

If you take even 2/3 phone calls it MIGHT upset a permie. Shouldnt but you never know.

As I've said above, a client manager does not want a permie moaning in his ear about what a contractor does or doesn't do. Some managers will say sod off perm and stop moaning but not all. It rarely ends well if the permies dont like you.

Well that's not a place I'd likely enjoy working anyway. I mean that sounds like you're working with someone who needs medication.

I used to have guys in my team asking about someone else coming or going at different hours and my answer was that that was a matter between me and their colleague and none of their business, just get back to work and stop worrying about what other people are doing. It's bad enough having to spend 7-8hrs a day in a place without treating the workplace like an actual prison!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    My people skills are just fine. Hell I work in IT, believe me I know what poor people skills look like.

There seems to be a strange assumption that taking a phone call = skiving and that's not necessarily the case. Obviously doing job hunting at the expense of your contracted employment wouldn't be a good idea, but in twenty+ years in IT it's been a rare day where I was flat out.

I'm not saying "just put your feet up on the desk and chomp a big cigar whilst loudly talking about big deals post-contract" I'm saying get a call answer it. Yeah, you might walk away from the desk, but unless I was in the middle of something I can't see letting it go to voicemail - could be a job that's no longer there by the time you get around to calling back.
    IMHO about 95% of calls from agents are a waste of my time.

Of those, 5% I don't think I've ever called one back 30 mins later and been told "oh sorry you would have been ideal but you're too late now". NEVER EVER.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    My people skills are just fine. Hell I work in IT, believe me I know what poor people skills look like.

There seems to be a strange assumption that taking a phone call = skiving and that's not necessarily the case. Obviously doing job hunting at the expense of your contracted employment wouldn't be a good idea, but in twenty+ years in IT it's been a rare day where I was flat out.

I'm not saying "just put your feet up on the desk and chomp a big cigar whilst loudly talking about big deals post-contract" I'm saying get a call answer it. Yeah, you might walk away from the desk, but unless I was in the middle of something I can't see letting it go to voicemail - could be a job that's no longer there by the time you get around to calling back.
    Fair enough but in my experience, permies can get upset about the stupidest things. Some people its any chance to moan about the contractor. I've worked in places where some of them took it upon themselves to write down (to the minute) the time I arrived and left each day and report back. Also, one guy gave manager a list of websites he'd seen me visited each day (i.e. about 3).

If you take even 2/3 phone calls it MIGHT upset a permie. Shouldnt but you never know.

As I've said above, a client manager does not want a permie moaning in his ear about what a contractor does or doesn't do. Some managers will say sod off perm and stop moaning but not all. It rarely ends well if the permies dont like you.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Ah, the old "I'm not here to make friends" get out clause to make up for poor people skills, you do know you're the people business if this is your long term career path?

You're correct They're not paying me for sick leave or holidays so whatever they're paying you to work not find your next contract.

I'm with NLUK, I'm out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X