• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health/Radiotherapy Locum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health/Radiotherapy Locum

Hi all,

I've been working as a Radiotherapy locum for over 4 years but since IR35 S&D have had ton liquidate the Ltd and switch to umbrella taking a big hit to my earnings. The Radiotherapy sector is quite niche with fewer places to work over the UK. Available contracts have been increasing but with with less locums to fill them as now we cannot claim back tax allowance on travel, subsistence and accommodation but have to pay it ourselves. I will be leaving the sector but have joined this forum which I've found very useful in the past to ask a few and maybe help with a few questions down the line.
    Thanks all
    Nick

If there are more positions and few contractors, shouldn't rates be increasing to accomodate, e.g. loss of tax free expenses.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I wonder if you could drop an email to IPSE at [email protected], explaining your thoughts and the impact on the NHS from your perspective. They are building a serious case to prove the damage the PS rules are doing. All completely anonymous of course.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If there are more positions and few contractors, shouldn't rates be increasing to accomodate, e.g. loss of tax free expenses.
        In theory, but people getting more expensive doesn't magically mean more budgets to hire them. In reality, what we'll see is more open positions in the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          In theory, but people getting more expensive doesn't magically mean more budgets to hire them. In reality, what we'll see is more open positions in the NHS.
          VWDan is right - NHS departments are so squeezed at the moment. The government capped the rates they can pay agency at a lower level with a caveat that they can exceed them if things get desperate. More departments are slowly doing this but it just ends up as tax to the government.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I wonder if you could drop an email to IPSE at [email protected], explaining your thoughts and the impact on the NHS from your perspective. They are building a serious case to prove the damage the PS rules are doing. All completely anonymous of course.
            TBH i've lost confidence in any change and am getting out. I did explain everything to the Society of Radiographers Union before and as it happened but they just weren't interested. This government won't change it now as they want to flog the whole thing off.

Comment

Originally posted by NickA View Post
              TBH i've lost confidence in any change and am getting out. I did explain everything to the Society of Radiographers Union before and as it happened but they just weren't interested. This government won't change it now as they want to flog the whole thing off.
              If you Flog the NHS off, sadly I fear that you’re right.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X