• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie > Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    I did and knew that I would be held to it (fair enough as it works both ways)... so I just resigned and 2 weeks before finishing up in permieland I started looking, found my first contract role to start the Monday after I finished being a permie within a week, sometimes you need to have faith in your own abilities and take a punt!
    The issue is not knowing when I'll land something.

With regards to resigning. What did your employer say or do in response?

Comment

I had 3 months notice, and didn't find anything for a month or so but I had savings that paid the bills until I got a contract (teaching MS Office in a National Rail Window 3.1.1 to WinNT project. Ah, those were the days! )

Edit: OH FFS I've already answered this thread.

To the OP: in to paraphrase the words of Yoda, there is Do or Don't Do, there is no 'ask about it, don't do it and ask the exact same question a year later'.

Either grow a pair and do it, or don't but don't come back here wittering on about not doing it.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
        The issue is not knowing when I'll land something.

With regards to resigning. What did your employer say or do in response?
        Who does?
        Sounds like you aren't ready.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So I think I'm about ready to make the move. I've beaten around the bush for far too long. Waiting for the moment someone says "Hi Daniel SQL. Yes we're prepared to wait 3 months for you".

A recruiter put me forward for a role last week. And he did mention that my notice period could prove problematic.

It's time I stepped up and took control!
          How did this go? I'm only starting out and definitely not an expert, but I'd be amazed if anybody would wait 3 months for a contractor. It's hard enough convincing anybody to wait that long for you for a permanent role.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrix Kiddo View Post
            How did this go? I'm only starting out and definitely not an expert, but I'd be amazed if anybody would wait 3 months for a contractor. It's hard enough convincing anybody to wait that long for you for a permanent role.
            Can be done, but only if you are known to the client or are very highly recommended.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. If you have an established reputation, sure, but for a first gig?

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear how this pans out, DanielSQL.

Comment

Done....

I've been trying to contact an agent regarding a position he posted online a while back. I've applied via the third party site. I've also emailed him direct. No reply... Makes me think the post was advertised purely to collect CVs.

Anyway... **** just for real.

Comment

Forgot to update this thread

So the following day my managers pulled me to one side and asked whether I would consider staying on as a contractor!

I've yet to give them a decision. Not sure how it would work tbh. Either way the search is going well. Have had a lot of interest from recruiters. Just need to negotiate a leave date.

Comment

Forgot to update this thread

So the following day my managers pulled me to one side and asked whether I would consider staying on as a contractor!

I've yet to give them a decision. Not sure how it would work tbh. Either way the search is going well. Have had a lot of interest from recruiters. Just need to negotiate a leave date.
                    Consider IR35 implications of staying as a contractor...

Bear in mind that:

Interest from recruiters ≠ Interviews forthcoming or contract roles offered

If you're lucky you will land something quickly but as is often said on here don't give up the search until you're in a role or even had the first invoice paid.
                    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 6 May 2016, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                      Consider IR35 implications of staying as a contractor...
                      This is what concerns me the most.

I recall another member saying he/she found themselves in a similar situation. So shall review that thread this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X