• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie > Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
    He would very much be the middle man here. Technically the colleague / contractor would be my client.
    What are the payment terms? Very important.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you negotiating through your mate or directly with the client? Personally I'd avoid anything through 'a mate'? I've seen more than enough people bringing newbies in and screwing them harder than agents do. Be very careful.

Fixed fee? You've got to make sure you negotiate an extremely tight set of deliverables to make sure the client doesn't change scope, cause the delays which means you don't get paid and so on. If he's paying you 10 grand for what you think is month long piece of work but takes 6 to 8 weeks it could you to stay until you delivery.

Loads of gotchas with fixed price so have a look through these links...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ns-advice.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fi...2yGIKpe_-6k4AG
      I don't think I will have any contact with the actual client. As mentioned. The contractor would technically be my client. I would be doing work for him - he will be the person I charge... Sort of like an umbrella setup.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        What are the payment terms? Very important.
        This is what we need to discuss next. Basically he plans to agree a fee for the work with the client. Once agreed we then need to discuss how much he plans to pay me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Personally I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole unless he is 100% transparent with the whole thing.
          He seems like a decent person. And we've worked (indirectly) together for a number of months now. And I've heard that he has had similar arrangements with others in the past.

Regardless of that I shall remain alert. And get as much info as I can, before fully agreeing to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
            This is what we need to discuss next. Basically he plans to agree a fee for the work with the client. Once agreed we then need to discuss how much he plans to pay me.
            You need to be clear on the specifics - what you need to deliver, how much you get and, most importantly, when you get it. Think of this fixed price stuff as a building project; you may want to go for staged deliverables rather than a day rate. If you want to do three weeks of 12 hour days to get it done, rather than four "normal" weeks, that should be your prerogative.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Noted.

Comment

Brief update -

*Contract opportunity with the former work colleague - meeting up with him next week to discuss the work in greater detail. He's also suggested that it would be a good idea to meet his client. I'm looking forward to this... I'm praying it'll lead to more work!

With regards to payment and the overall structure of the agreement. The colleague would be my client.

*In other news I've been put forward for an interesting role. Which could keep me busy for 12 whole months.

I have a telephone interview with the client later this week!

Wish me luck.... Please

Comment

Finally getting somewhere -
                  • Company formed
                  • Met with clients last week to discuss requirements
                  • Thanks to this forum I now have an accountant - Gorilla Accounting!

I cannot wait to start!

Comment

Got be to a sockie this guy.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Permie > Contractor

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      Got be to a sockie this guy.

qh
                      Whatever happened to gig Friday, start Monday?

This is taking longer than Brexit...

Comment

Working...
                      X