• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are Paystream talking about here with this 'free' 12.5% for SIPP contribs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are Paystream talking about here with this 'free' 12.5% for SIPP contribs?

Just got an email from PayStream and they're raising the fee they charge to maintain a standing order into my SIPP by 30% (thanks).

As well as that, they also mention this:

"To ensure you receive the maximum benefit of salary sacrifice, PayStream will continue to pass down 100% of the employer savings (14.3%) to you. This means for every £1000 you sacrifice; alongside your tax and employee NI savings, PayStream will pass down an additional £125 to your gross pay."
    I don't know what this is and I don't think I ever get more landing in my SIPP than I explicitly ask to be moved.

Am I just being dazzled by some figures to try and get me to ignore the fee hike?

By paying into a SIPP, using salary sacrifice, you effectively reduce your PAYE pay and that reduces how much *Employers* National Insurance is paid. Because this just goes to the Gov usually, Paystream are saying they'll give you the saved NI.

You'll also pay less Employee NI, reflected in increasing your take home, which means the £1000 doesn't come close to costing you £1000 from your take home.

To be fair, I think the flat fee is the fairest way of doing it. My Umbrella takes some cut from the NI and it's hard to work out actually how much they're raking in from it

Comment

Right.. so it'll just be on payslips as an invisible-ish reduction in Emp NI then I suppose. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Just a complicated way of saying things. The amount of pension you request is what goes to your pension and the savings are shown on the pay summary which is effectively a reduction in all tax and NI.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
          Just a complicated way of saying things. The amount of pension you request is what goes to your pension and the savings are shown on the pay summary which is effectively a reduction in all tax and NI.
          I wouldn’t be making that assumption nowadays - I can think of one umbrella that is pocketing some of the Employer NI savings and not putting it all in the pension fund.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And that's when it becomes complicated to see it on the pay summary! So maybe thats a pointer to finding one who can show it in a straight forward manner - just saying

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              To be fair, I think the flat fee is the fairest way of doing it. My Umbrella takes some cut from the NI and it's hard to work out actually how much they're raking in from it
              Originally posted by eek View Post

I wouldn’t be making that assumption nowadays - I can think of one umbrella that is pocketing some of the Employer NI savings and not putting it all in the pension fund.
              Wtf, I didn't even realise that this is something to look out for! I've only ever used Paystream with SS.

Which umbrellas are these and what's the size of the cut they're taking?

Comment

Parasol take 3.5% so pay 10.3% (with a limit of £100 maximum per month)

https://parasolgroup.co.uk/parasol-a...bove-the-rest/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContractorU...contributions/

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  By paying into a SIPP, using salary sacrifice, you effectively reduce your PAYE pay and that reduces how much *Employers* National Insurance is paid. Because this just goes to the Gov usually, Paystream are saying they'll give you the saved NI.

You'll also pay less Employee NI, reflected in increasing your take home, which means the £1000 doesn't come close to costing you £1000 from your take home.

Originally posted by I am tired TIRED View Post
                  Parasol take 3.5% so pay 10.3% (with a limit of £100 maximum per month)

https://parasolgroup.co.uk/parasol-a...bove-the-rest/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContractorU...contributions/
                  Good to know, thanks. Paystream was £6/weekly-payslip flat-fee so I guess even with a 30% hike that's good value if you're sacrificing a decent amount. They've probably realised that hence the increase.

Comment

Working...
                  X