• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paystream - "Employers Costs on Holiday Pay"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paystream - "Employers Costs on Holiday Pay"

I've had an illustration from PayStream and, as expected, there's a deduction of 12.07% from the Gross Pay to account for holiday pay. However, in addition to that, they have another charge of almost 15% of the holiday accrual labelled "Employers Costs on Holiday Pay"

I wasn't expecting to have to pay anything extra to manage the holiday pot, and certainly not that much so just wanted to check if this is normal? If so, what services does it cover?

Also, it looks like they're charging an admin fee for using Salary Sacrifice, which is being taken from the Gross Pay rather than the Umbrella Income - is there any reason this is treated differently to their margin, which is taken before the Gross Salary?

I can of course query this with them directly but figured folks here may have some useful insight before doing so.

Thanks in advance.

It's right but the fact you are subject to Holiday Accrual and they are deducting it from Gross Pay is where your confusion comes from because the employment side of the costs of the holiday pay still need to be accounted for but no longer fit into the employer NI / Apprenticeship levy fields
    If you had advanced holiday pay the calculation goes

contract total
    - umbrella margin
    - employer NI
    - Apprencticeship Levy
    = Gross Pay

However when it comes to Holiday Accrual the pay that is subject to tax is 12.07% less (because the holiday pay isn't being paid out now) so the Employer NI and Apprenticeship Levy is 12.07% less than it would be if the money was advanced. Hence the need for a balancing figure.

Now personally I think - holiday pay is a figure that should be explicitly deducted from the contract total to avoid this type of confusion but I suspect there is a reason why Paystream prefer to do it this way (it's going to be a combination of HMRC / there's probably a few pennies in it for them).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you.

So it's essentially ENIC + AL for the holiday pay, paid in advance if you like. As such, when that holiday pay is taken/paid out, it's only subject to NIC and IT as the 'employer taxes' has already been paid?

Do you know why the admin fee for salary sacrifice is paid from 'Gross Pay' rather than 'Umbrella Income'? I'd have thought such an admin fee would be treated the same as margin and deduced before the 'Gross Pay' is calculated.

Comment

Any extra that isn’t included within the umbrellas margin has to be taken out of your gross pay (HMRC rules and the law)

its why some umbrellas (Giant) have different schemes with different margins / rates and you pick the scheme most appropriate for you use case and that allows everything to be done within the margin
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got this lot and another 4 of the big ones to pick from. It's the same list as my 'Ones to avoid' list as well. Mehhh
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I've got this lot and another 4 of the big ones to pick from. It's the same list as my 'Ones to avoid' list as well. Mehhh
            FWIW, I had a good experience with Paystream.

Having been forced down such an attrocious brolly that I had to kick off, threaten to get the client involved and threaten to bin the contract that they added somebody new to the PSL, I'd gladly go back to them!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

FWIW, I had a good experience with Paystream.

Having been forced down such an attrocious brolly that I had to kick off, threaten to get the client involved and threaten to bin the contract that they added somebody new to the PSL, I'd gladly go back to them!
              Appreciate that. I'm pushing back at the moment but if push comes to shove then that's made the decision a whole lot easier.

Comment

Just addressing the additional SIPP payment from a brolly perspective. Most will add a charge for the SIPP payment as it is a lot more admin work for individual SIPPs for every contractor rather than the umbrella pension scheme which would be one payment for the bulk of the contractors on their books.

Comment

Also with regards to the holiday pay, again it is down to the way in which the umbrella is processing. We deduct taxes etc when the holiday pay is accrued (if they pick that option) and not when repaid. That way our contractors can see what funds they have in their holiday pot, and when they request it that is the amount they get in their account - makes life a lot more straight forward.

Comment

Not sure it's relevant but was interesting speaking to Paystream today. They offered to pay me my holiday pay upfront so I don't get paid when I'm off or they can keep it and pay me. I've indicated I want it all now but am waiting for someone to explain it in more detail before I finalise it.

Not seen this mentioned before on the forums I dont think.

Comment

Working...
                    X