• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help understanding Employers NI and salary breakdown.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madmax86 View Post

I got to my answer below by doing this (in simple layman's terms)...

Having already established the following figures...

a = 1.17903
    b = -64.65

I then did (£10,400 - b)/a = £8,875.64.

Is that a dumbed down way of writing your method above?

I already have my answer, the above is just for my comprehension and as you know, every day's a school day!
    That’s it. But you need to remember that if you increase e.g. your pension from 3.3% to 4%, then you need to change 1.17903 to 1.18603.

…and I’m not going to say that the figures are 100% accurate, but they may give you a reasonable approximation.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That’s it. But you need to remember that if you increase e.g. your pension from 3.3% to 4%, then you need to change 1.17903 to 1.18603.

…and I’m not going to say that the figures are 100% accurate, but they may give you a reasonable approximation.
      Yes definitely.

I have also done a version where I define the pension as a hard number, not a % and that also works well, specially for scenarios investing a fixed amount into a SIPP.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

I like to simply call the calculation umbrella payroll voodoo! Much simpler explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by Madmax86 View Post
          I have also done a version where I define the pension as a hard number, not a % and that also works well, specially for scenarios investing a fixed amount into a SIPP.
          Just make sure you know whether the umbrella is doing a salary sacrifice arrangement if that is how you are basing the calculations, the industry is flooded with different variants as to how to take the pension.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
            Just make sure you know whether the umbrella is doing a salary sacrifice arrangement if that is how you are basing the calculations, the industry is flooded with different variants as to how to take the pension.
            Tell me about it - think I have 6 variations at the moment ignoring the ones who do short cuts
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Tell me about it - think I have 6 variations at the moment ignoring the ones who do short cuts
              I am genuinely not surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                Hmmm that is an interesting point.

So with my current payslips including the one outlined in my original post, there is the pension contribution at £293.52 with employer's salary sacrifice saving of £26.24.

However, I have asked them on another occasion for an illustration of what it would look like if they paid £1,000 into my SIPP (If I opted out of the current workplace auto-enrolled pension) and this illustration has the £1,000 contribution but no salary sacrifice saving.

I haven't yet questioned them on this but is this what you are referring to?

Comment

Working...
                X