• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella employer pension - I pay it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella employer pension - I pay it?

Hi, I've been auto-enrolled into the NEST pension scheme by my umbrella company. I pay 5% of my qualifying earnings, and my employer pays 3%.

On my payslip, I can see that the 3% my 'employer' pays comes out of my total umbrella income (my day rate x the number of days worked) along with the employer's NI.

The 5% then comes out of my gross salary, along with tax and normal (employee) NI.

Is this correct? I understand I have to pay employer's NI but was surprised to see the employer's pension also coming out of my day rate.

I'm a higher rate taxpayer and I've just opened a SIPP, so I was thinking of opting out of NEST and contributing to the SIPP instead. But some documents suggest I'd lose my employer contributions if I opt out. But if I made the contributions, surely they couldn't keep them? All very confusing!

I also don't think I'm getting higher rate tax relief on my NEST pension and not sure if this is even possible (hence opening the SIPP, as I know I can get tax relief on that). Salary sacrifice is not currently an option.

Any steer on any of the above would be appreciated.

A couple of questions:
    1. Are you Inside or Outside IR35?
    2. What does your Key Information Document say?
    3. Who is your umbrella?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMakeroni View Post
      Is this correct? I understand I have to pay employer's NI but was surprised to see the employer's pension also coming out of my day rate.
      That's normal behaviour based on the umbrellas I've used.

Comment

Rule 1 - agencies lie

which means that the rate you see advertised is the rate from which the umbrella has to cover ALL their costs before they pay you
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

To explain it in logical terms, then umbrella only has one pot of money coming into them, and this is your assignment (invoice) rate. From that rate ALL employment costs have to be met (inc Ers Pension). As much as I am sure we would love it, the umbrella does not have a magic money tree to fund that pension, so it has to come from that assignment rate.

HTHs

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post

HTHs
            The (inside IR35) world would be much nicer if you were on every agency's list of approved umbrellas.
            Last edited by fabios; 31 January 2023, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by fabios View Post
              The (inside IR35) world would be much nicer if you were on every agency's list of approved umbrellas.
              thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X