• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella and notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella and notice period

Hello,

My contract (managed by an umbrella company) is due to expire on 31st Jan. I’ve been offered and accepted an extension (start date 1st Feb). I’ve been with this client for nearly 24 months and this will be the fourth time my contract is extended.

I’ve been offered another role at a different company that I want to accept, but the start date is 5th Feb.

The notice period in my contract is four weeks.

Does this notice period apply to my current contract only (which ends on 31st Jan) or also the new/extended contract that starts on 1st Feb, given that I’ve accepted it (verbally only, the umbrella sign the extension with the client presumably on my behalf as I am technically ‘Personnel’, I only have a physical contract with the umbrella)?

There’s nothing in the contract that covers this specific situation so not sure where I stand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Originally posted by sdd View Post
    Hello,
    … I’ve been with this client for nearly 24 months and this will be the fourth time my contract is extended.
    24 months at a client when your last thread from April 2022 you said…

Have been contracting for about 5 years. Currently on the bench
    Which one was false?
    And should we question your other threads as well?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

24 months at a client when your last thread from April 2022 you said…

Which one was false?
      And should we question your other threads as well?

I often change timeframes in a way that I don’t think should impact the outcome of any advice received but should make me less easily identifiable in the event that someone were to go through my post history and put together a picture of who I am based on their knowledge of my work history (for instance if they read one post and think ‘hmm, SDD sounds like Bob’ and then read my past posts and piece together that I am in fact Bob).

Comment

I often change timeframes in a way that I don’t think should impact the outcome of any advice received but should make me less easily identifiable in the event that someone were to go through my post history and put together a picture of who I am based on their knowledge of my work history (for instance if they read one post and think ‘hmm, SDD sounds like Bob’ and then read my past posts and piece together that I am in fact Bob).
        Whatever

The issue you have is that you've signed a contract renewal and you now need to politely extract yourself from it via your end client and agency.

The only advantage you have is that you can lie and blame the umbrella for accepting the renewal without asking you first.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hello,

My contract (managed by an umbrella company) is due to expire on 31st Jan. I’ve been offered and accepted an extension (start date 1st Feb). I’ve been with this client for nearly 24 months and this will be the fourth time my contract is extended.

I’ve been offered another role at a different company that I want to accept, but the start date is 5th Feb.

Does this notice period apply to my current contract only (which ends on 31st Jan) or also the new/extended contract that starts on 1st Feb, given that I’ve accepted it (verbally only, the umbrella sign the extension with the client presumably on my behalf as I am technically ‘Personnel’, I only have a physical contract with the umbrella)?

There’s nothing in the contract that covers this specific situation so not sure where I stand. Any advice would be appreciated.
          Hi sdd

Your notice to terminate will take effect from your current assignment. So, even if you have signed an extension, if you give notice to terminate after the extension then the assignment could still terminate before the extension starts.

However, in these situations it's still best to be upfront and discuss with your recruiter.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
          Last edited by DolanContractorGroup; 17 January 2023, 10:31.
          Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Whatever

The issue you have is that you've signed a contract renewal and you now need to politely extract yourself from it via your end client and agency.

The only advantage you have is that you can lie and blame the umbrella for accepting the renewal without asking you first.
            That only works with some umbrellas. Not everyone (us included) signs the contract paperwork before approval from the worker.
            Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post

That only works with some umbrellas. Not everyone (us included) signs the contract paperwork before approval from the worker.
              which part of lie and blame the umbrella did you miss..

The whole point was how the OP could extract himself from a mess he created by himself. The additional parties involved make that possible in ways that were never possible when the relationship was end client > agency > contractor and even then it was possible to blame the agency for a misunderstanding.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post

Hi sdd

Your notice to terminate will take effect from your current assignment. So, even if you have signed an extension, if you give notice to terminate after the extension then the assignment could still terminate before the extension starts.

However, in these situations it's still best to be upfront and discuss with your recruiter.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                You sure about that? He's accepted another contract so terms are in place for the new one surely? The start date is in the future but the contract has been agreed and is active. There is no point giving 4 weeks notice on his current contract as it will naturally expire before that but he will have to give 4 weeks notice to terminate the new contract, which, if he did it today would be 14th Feb?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did you get any contract addendum from the umbrella which amends the standard contract of employment notice period based on what they received from the agency / client? If you did then you need to understand which one supercedes. In essence with the current assignment, yu should have to still give the appropriate notice that is on the B2B contract between the agency and umbrella. HTHs

Comment

Working...
                  X