• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Approved Contractor List

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approved Contractor List

Can you be forced to use an umbrella from an approved list, when you are already working through a different umbrella for a different contract?
    Thanks
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Yes you can.

Edit: I meant that they can make you use another umbrella other than the one you’re already using.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
      Can you be forced to use an umbrella from an approved list, when you are already working through a different umbrella for a different contract?
      Thanks
      No one can make you change the 'different' contract and umbrella.

An agency/client can make you choose from their PSL simply by refusing to work with your current umbrella. In this day and age a huge amount of du diligence goes into getting an Umbrella onto a PSL so you can understand your client being comfortable with a certain umbrella.

However the client/agency can't make you change to one they like (on your other contract) as it's nothing to do with them. Why do even know who you use elsewhere?

Comment

Also, look at this thread for more info regarding the tax situation for a contractor in a similar position to yours.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...contracts.html
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So the situation is that I'm with Client 1 and using Umbrella 1, that contract is coming to an end and Client 2 ( via an agency ) wants be to work via Umbrellas ( of which Umbrella 1 is not on the list ).

Apart from the fact I'm very happy with U1, I'm also in the process of a mortgage application, so having all my earning via 1 umbrella seems to me to be the best outcome for me.

I've seen an article where someone said they'd walk if their chosen umbrella was not used, and whilst I don't really want to go down that road I was wondering if anyone else has had any sucesss is using non-PSL umbrellas.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

So the situation is that I'm with Client 1 and using Umbrella 1, that contract is coming to an end and Client 2 ( via an agency ) wants be to work via Umbrellas ( of which Umbrella 1 is not on the list ).

Apart from the fact I'm very happy with U1, I'm also in the process of a mortgage application, so having all my earning via 1 umbrella seems to me to be the best outcome for me.

I've seen an article where someone said they'd walk if their chosen umbrella was not used, and whilst I don't really want to go down that road I was wondering if anyone else has had any sucesss is using non-PSL umbrellas.
            Several have, but they involved the umbrella selling themselves to the agency (the client doesn't give a damn how you get paid, they only see the agency). Since recent cases have made agencies even more risk averse, they are more likely to find another contractor than they are finding another umbrella. But it's up to you to get the ball rolling.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be called "Approved Umbrella List" ?

The thread sounds too tempting to comment about who is and who isn't going to be on it (contractors)
              I'd create a parody thread but this one already has the parody title.

Comment

It's an approved list because the agency have spent money carrying out diligence to make sure they are worth of representing. Anyone else hasn't been through the diligence process to the agent won't deal with them. gets a kick back from the ones on the list.

If you don't like the list you are a bit buggered. Some, and I mean very few agencies, will take on your preference. But it's very uncommon.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've asked to use my prefered Umbella twice before, one agency said yes and it worked well for me, one said no and I declined the contact.

If you're not prepared to walk you can ask (which I would hope you have already done) if they say no you have no choice but to accept thier PSL
                  Last edited by SimonMac; 1 August 2022, 07:14.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                  X