• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parasol Umbrella seem to have disappeared today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ariosa View Post
    Latest email from Parasol CEO - apparently data has been copied and leaked!!!

Good Morning,

As you are aware, Optionis recently experienced a cyber security incident and I want to thank you again for your patience over the past few weeks while we have been investigating the situation. The incident has been contained and we have notified the police and relevant authorities.

Our security team has now detected that some data belonging to Optionis was copied from our system and we believe some of that has been leaked online.

At this stage we have not been able to ascertain the precise nature of the information, however we are investigating this as an absolute priority.

We felt that it was important to let you know about this development and we can assure you that we will inform you as a matter of urgency should we uncover that personal data which is likely to result in a high risk to you has been leaked.

We continue to take this incident extremely seriously and will keep you informed as the situation develops.

To assist us in providing expert security advice we have partnered with Experian, the world’s leading global information services company, and have set up a dedicated helpline should you have any questions on the above.

You can contact Experian on 0800 064 0433 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Yours sincerely,

Doug Crawford,
    CEO Optionis

OH DEAR.

Some data - how big? And does it mean Parasol data is most likely compromised also? It does not feel me with confidence tbh

Comment

Optionis includes SJD Accountancy, Nixon Williams, Parasol, ClearSky Contractor Accounting, Brian Alfred and ClearSky Business

Comment

Made an account just for this thread - can't believe I hadn't noticed this forum until now!

Seems like a fairly broad ransomware attack - I called the Experian number and was told that I would need to be sent an ID number from Optionis before they can begin to help me, so right now it seems like we have to sit on our hands and wait.

Recommendations for the time being would be to change all passwords and find a new umbrella company.....does Crunch do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosa View Post

Our security team has now detected that some data belonging to Optionis was copied from our system and we believe some of that has been leaked online.

Oops but that explains some rumours I heard last week.

Of equal interest is this post from Offpayroll Post | Feed | LinkedIn . Now most of what they are currently posting isn't exactly helpful (although they are the first to be claiming that Brookson's data has been stolen as well as Optionis, I don't buy it though as the rumour I've heard is very specific) but the FCA issue will be a big one for Optionis to deal with (and compliance for that is beyond painful so they never would have got it).
          Last edited by eek; 7 February 2022, 12:43.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post

and they cheekily took their margin too! If it keeps them afloat from a cashflow perspective, however, then I have no issues, given the amounts of money at stake here for all employees.
            Originally posted by eek View Post

Oops but that explains some rumours I heard last week.

Of equal interest is this post from Offpayroll Post | Feed | LinkedIn . Now most of what they are currently posting isn't exactly helpful (although they are the first to be claiming that Brookson's data has been stolen as well as Optionis, I don't buy it though as the rumour I've heard is very specific) but the FCA issue will be a big one for Optionis to deal with (and compliance for that is beyond painful so they never would have got it).
            Interesting...
            I wonder how long before either a) Optionis goes under or b) Sovereign Capital have to shore Optionis up with shed loads of cash?
            I also wonder what percentage of their client base has either a) terminated or b) will terminate imminently?
            Lastly, how many more of these firms will need to get hacked before something is done?
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
              Interesting...
              I wonder how long before either a) Optionis goes under or b) Sovereign Capital have to shore Optionis up with shed loads of cash?
              I also wonder what percentage of their client base has either a) terminated or b) will terminate imminently?
              Lastly, how many more of these firms will need to get hacked before something is done?
              I just want to know what, if any, of my data was hacked and how quickly I can change to another company.

Some compensation might be nice too....I already had Parasol mess up a prior Inside IR35 role last November - they put through 9 weeks of paychecks in the space of one month and I'm waiting to get that back (eventually) from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

Interesting...
                Margin was supposedly taken because they didn't want to edit their systems so it was easier to allow the software to deduct it and pay something rather than nothing.

That is literally about the one decent plan I've seen from Optionis throughout this saga.

Comment

Originally posted by MrContractor View Post

I just want to know what, if any, of my data was hacked and how quickly I can change to another company.

Some compensation might be nice too....I already had Parasol mess up a prior Inside IR35 role last November - they put through 9 weeks of paychecks in the space of one month and I'm waiting to get that back (eventually) from HMRC.
                  How quickly you can change depends on how willing your agency is to allow you to switch to a different umbrella - given that they have a PSL with multiple companies on it it shouldn't be a problem to switch to a different one on the PSL.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

How quickly you can change depends on how willing your agency is to allow you to switch to a different umbrella - given that they have a PSL with multiple companies on it it shouldn't be a problem to switch to a different one on the PSL.
                    Thanks for the reply - I've had other contractor-friends who have recommended Crunch.

As someone who is on the OE-life with a couple of ongoing Outside and Inside IR35 roles, would they be recommended by yourself or do any others come to mind? Sorry, new here and trying to navigate this site has me a bit lost!

Comment

Originally posted by MrContractor View Post
                      Made an account just for this thread - can't believe I hadn't noticed this forum until now!

Seems like a fairly broad ransomware attack - I called the Experian number and was told that I would need to be sent an ID number from Optionis before they can begin to help me, so right now it seems like we have to sit on our hands and wait.

Recommendations for the time being would be to change all passwords and find a new umbrella company.....does Crunch do that?
                      Just checked my credit report on Experian. So far so good. In the process of changing all my passwords.
                      To be proactive, this article is helpful:

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/...if-victim.html

Comment

Working...
                      X