• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now this could be interesting...Chris Bryce new CEO of FCSA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now this could be interesting...Chris Bryce new CEO of FCSA

FCSA has a new CEO. Some bloke who knows quite a bit about contracting and IR35 for a change. Between him and Lucy, they may start to make some sense.
    Blog? What blog...?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    FCSA has a new CEO. Some bloke who knows quite a bit about contracting and IR35 for a change. Between him and Lucy, they may start to make some sense.
    You do know what the purpose of the FCSA is - it's got nowt to do with IR35 (expect possibly a desire to tighten IR35 rules further to get more customers).

The FCSA's problem is that it deals with theory - if the processes shown are followed than an agency should have nothing to worry about.

That was fine when theory was the only option available - that isn't going to be the case for much longer as with Open Banking it's possible to offer real time confirmation to reassure Agencies they have nothing to worry about.

And I've known Mr Bryce has been arriving for ages (won't say who told me first but the same person has been working with the people doing the real time method mentioned above).
    Last edited by eek; 10 January 2022, 14:18.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I said "could" for a reason....

I've known and worked with him for many years, And I do know what FCSA is for and what it says it does.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I said "could" for a reason....

I've known and worked with him for many years, And I do know what FCSA is for and what it says it does.
        Shall I point out the FCSA's problems then

1) A lot of members would prefer to not to have to spend £25000 on membership
        2) A lot of the members who are happy to pay that £25,000 are dubious ranging from how on earth are they members still, to nice (vaguely legal) trick there that provides an additional 25 to 60% profit.

Heck Nest (the pensions people) are very dubious about (the trick I mention within number 2) and have written some interesting comments to HMRC's review (one point they make is that all pension contributions should be either from the employer or via salary sacrifice).

Mr Bryce's problem is how does he deal with that second list and how does he retain the ones in the first list when the automated Open Banking method is preferred by agents, is cheaper and renders what FCSA does 95% superfluous.
        Last edited by eek; 10 January 2022, 17:26.

Comment

Lol no pressure there then!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post

Lol no pressure there then!
            No, none at all!!

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have always questioned the value of FCSA in that I cannot see how some members managed to become members in view of the compliance regime that certainly seemed to be touted at one point (though I'm not sure if it still is). Apart from a badge I am not sure about it. I am not sure I trust the badge either. As in, what happens if I do not trust the badge?
              I am struggling to see the value of a number of business "membership" organisations recently though. Some research I have been doing quietly recently tells me that such organisations are hugely out of favour at the moment. I think some may struggle rather heavily soon.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                I have always questioned the value of FCSA in that I cannot see how some members managed to become members in view of the compliance regime that certainly seemed to be touted at one point (though I'm not sure if it still is). Apart from a badge I am not sure about it. I am not sure I trust the badge either. As in, what happens if I do not trust the badge?
                I am struggling to see the value of a number of business "membership" organisations recently though. Some research I have been doing quietly recently tells me that such organisations are hugely out of favour at the moment. I think some may struggle rather heavily soon.
                Actually I do agree. With the shift to Section 10 and the near death of Section 8, any lobbying would have to start with the large clients, and that simply isn't going to happen, if only because other than a slight admin overhead their gross costs are remaining much the same. And let's face it, 90% of contractors haven't a scoobie about all the pitfalls that surround them. As a result most of the contractor-facing organisations and service providers are going to struggle.

FCSA is in a slightly different place. While the Mk 1 version was an abject failure, and the revised version has a long way to go to root out both the cowboys and the clones, they are probably best placed to ensure that contractors are more critical about the services that umbrellas are offering them. And we both know Chris isn't scared of windmills...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

assume you are referring to this: https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00..._ceo_fcsa.html

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                    Being careful here

He's an improvement on the previous guy but Chris is going to find his job is very different from what he thought it was - hint we joke that the FCSA is an old boy's club because it's designed for a particular task - it could have stepped up multiple times to fix the industry but it's members never wanted that - why do you think Julia left in the first place...

Comment

Working...
                    X