• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Umbrella - Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Umbrella - Expenses

After many years of Ltd co, I'm looking to have a contract that is inside ir35 and using an umbrella company.

Years ago when I ues umbrella I would imput my weekly expenses and these would be taken into account, now I'm told by Paystream that I have to reclaim t he tax from HMRC at the end of the tax year or contract.

Is that the same for all umbrellas or is that just something Paystream do?
    Thanks
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Are these expenses that are going to be paid by the client?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Are these expenses that are going to be paid by the client?
      No, - they are things like working from home etc.

Comment

No expenses for umbrellas as you are now an employee. You are not travelling or incurring expenses on behalf of your LTD as you carry out your business. You are now just doing your job so the only expenses you can claim for are the ones your client has asked you to incur and they will repay it. It's all umbrellas, not just Paystream.

No mileage, accommodation, meals, kit, WFH, nothing. (You can reclaim some WFH from tax along with some other bits n pieces)

If you google Umbrella expenses you'll see hundreds of articles explaining it.

If you go to google and type in 'umbrella expenses site:forums.contractoruk.com' you'll find hundreds of threads covering this as well.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 23 November 2021, 14:46.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          After many years of Ltd co, I'm looking to have a contract that is inside ir35 and using an umbrella company.

Years ago when I ues umbrella I would imput my weekly expenses and these would be taken into account, now I'm told by Paystream that I have to reclaim t he tax from HMRC at the end of the tax year or contract.

Is that the same for all umbrellas or is that just something Paystream do?
          Thanks
          Those wfh and travel Expenses were removed from Umbrella employees back in April 2016...

There are a few umbrellas who claim to offer expenses if you are outside SDS but I really wouldn't trust them...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks Guys - sorry for asking the question - haven't used umbrella for years...

Comment

Thanks Guys - sorry for asking the question - haven't used umbrella for years...
              Not a problems - as I said things changed back in 2016.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No, - they are things like working from home etc.
                If you have to work from home because of covid restrictions there is a small adjustment that you could apply for which would amend via your tax code. https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...orking-at-home

Comment

Working...
                X