• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Naive me signed up with an Umbrella Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naive me signed up with an Umbrella Company

Hi forum I worked 2 days last week for an Agency, and I’m sure i was paid by getting payroll company. I text the agency a few days ago whether I was going to get an email or text saying how much I’d get paid and so on. But tonight on Thursday night i got an email to join an umbrella company and i went through all the sign up instructions and have now joined one, the instructions and questions were vague, I thought I was providing details to a payroll company.

The contract i put down was for one month, but it was only 2 days I worked for this agency. I’ve now got another job through a different agency. so im now employed by this umbrella company and to be honest i didnt want to be. silly old me. I can give more details.

Sorry, why would we need more details for a mistake on your part?

Next time, don’t do any work until after you set up payment details.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

alright how do i go around getting out of it. if for example ive said 1 month contract then after that the employment is over? correct?

Comment

If there's no actual work being offered (hence the 2 days then stop) I would assume you can just call them up to cancel the arrangement. They're only there to provide a pseudo-employer front for the real client, after all

If you're meant to complete the original contract, then you'll need to serve notice or walk (perhaps with a meeting with client first to arrange that from their end)
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          If there's no actual work being offered (hence the 2 days then stop) I would assume you can just call them up to cancel the arrangement. They're only there to provide a pseudo-employer front for the real client, after all

If you're meant to complete the original contract, then you'll need to serve notice or walk (perhaps with a meeting with client first to arrange that from their end)
          i signed a contract for the job from 21/09/2021-24/12/2021. but the job no longer needed me after 2 days. i didnt pay any mind to it, because i just assumed i was covering for someone for that 2 days. very fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by jacklep View Post
            alright how do i go around getting out of it. if for example ive said 1 month contract then after that the employment is over? correct?
            No. You are now employed by the umbrella. You read your paperwork which will tell you what the termination periods are.. I'd take a guess its a month but you aren't doing any work for them so doesn't really matter. Hand your notice in, explain the situation and you'll be done.

You really need to take more care what you are signing up for and read the contracts between you and the parties you are signing up for. You seem to have completely ignored the facts of your engagement with both the agency and umbrella and now you are stuck you still aren't reading the documents/contracts.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No. You are now employed by the umbrella. You read your paperwork which will tell you what the termination periods are.. I'd take a guess its a month but you aren't doing any work for them so doesn't really matter. Hand your notice in, explain the situation and you'll be done.

You really need to take more care what you are signing up for and read the contracts between you and the parties you are signing up for. It's all in there.
              thanks thats it. okay done. yep im not the sharpest tool, i was just desperate for work over the last month. cheers.

Comment

First of all did you check the brolly to make sure they are legit? If you signed the contract of employment and went through the right to work check (which they would need before they can pay you) then you will need to resign from the umbrella so that they can issue a P45 to you for whatever you are doing now - going to be very costly for 2 days worth of work. Can the agency not pay you it PAYE?

Comment

I just got paid from them yesterday, the umbrella company is Brookson one. i told one of their representatives on the phone about the situation and said she would look into it.

Comment

Well it's great you got paid. Check your contract and payslip around holiday pay - if they deducted for it and you're going to change brollys for your next gig, then you need to claim it asap.

Comment

Working...
                    X