• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do these figures look legit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these figures look legit?

Weekly Invoice total £1,500.00
    Gross Salary Payment (5 days) £366.25
    Income Tax and NI (assuming a 1250L tax code) £76.80
    Net Salary Payment £289.45
    Paid to Network £1,133.75
    Retained for Management Co Costs & Corporation Tax £202.51
    Dividend (Based on 12 months working) £41.66
    Monthly Dividend Tax Liability £0.00
    Available Profit for Distribution £889.58
    CGT Liability (Capital Payment) £63.96
    Net £825.62
    Total Deductions £343.27
    Take Home £1,156.73
    How it works

You will become an employee of one of our Umbrella Companies. As an employee, IR35 just isn't applicable so this is something you needn't worry about.

The Umbrella Company will pay you a salary and pay all Tax and NIC's due on your behalf.

In addition to this you will become a member of the Consultancy Network you will also be eligible to receive Profit Share. There are a number of ways to receive Profit Share, all of which are fully disclosed to HMRC and are taxable.

On an invoice of £1,500.00 you would retain £1,156.73 (77.12%) in total assuming a tax code of 1250L and no other income.

Been quoted higher than 80%? To get above 80% you would need to be using a Tax Avoidance Scheme which is confirmed by HMRC

TLDR; No. Avoid.

The figures are probably legit, as per how they calculate them, and pay you, but within a few years, expect a hefty tax bill from the tax man.

Read this: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-umbrella.html

Unless you're paying into a pension (or any other salary sacrifice option), or have valid expenses, expect to take home around 53% of gross day rate via an Umbrella.

To misquote that illustration:

Been quoted higher than 55%? To get above 55% you are probably using a Tax Avoidance Scheme which is not confirmed by HMRC
    Last edited by Paralytic; 9 March 2021, 08:33.

Comment

I don't like it because I have an inherent mistrust of any scheme that partly pays in dividend.

I bet you are truly not a shareholder in the company and won't get a share certificate (with or without voting rights) which screams evasion rather than avoidance.

Comment

That's as dodgy as anything.

if you are inside IR35 then everything needs to be paid via PAYE except:-

Salary Sacrifice pension
        Expenses paid by the end client directly
        and a few other very explicit schemes (electric car lease, cycle to work).
        Some umbrellas have also found a way to allow you to buy hardware before tax deduction (which is sneaky and I'm sure HMRC may become interested later).

And if you are outside IR35 you can do that all yourself and retain more than that (as you won't need to pay them their fee.

Finally it is your responsibility to pay your tax - which is the biggest reason why I hate the new IR35 approach - but this doesn't solve any problems for you and creates a whole lot more.

Actually looking at that again - why is Capital Gains Tax mentioned there?

Don't run away - sprint after naming the umbrella here so that others are prewarned.
        Last edited by eek; 9 March 2021, 08:39.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ooh, doesn't 77.1% sound plausible?

Sooo much more trustworthy than those scammy 80%ers.

2.9% makes all the difference...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yea and the link they send you to on the HMRC page magically says:

What you should check

You should check if:
            • the company promises that you can keep 80, 90 or 95% of your wages and be tax compliant (this is unlikely to be true as, in most cases, the basic rate of Income Tax is 20% and National Insurance contributions are also due on earnings)

Comment

Originally posted by keeno65 View Post
              Yea and the link they send you to on the HMRC page magically says:

What you should check

You should check if:
              • the company promises that you can keep 80, 90 or 95% of your wages and be tax compliant (this is unlikely to be true as, in most cases, the basic rate of Income Tax is 20% and National Insurance contributions are also due on earnings)
              What page is that - as I will raise a request for it to be corrected.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

What page is that - as I will raise a request for it to be corrected.
                Umbrella companies offering to increase your take home pay (Spotlight 45) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

OP would be better just telling us the brolly/scheme provider and we can give them a definitive answer based on that alone along with other detailed information such has how fast to drop this and how far to run away from it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    OP would be better just telling us the brolly/scheme provider and we can give them a definitive answer based on that alone along with other detailed information such has how fast to drop this and how far to run away from it.
                    Very fast and very far. There's no way that is a legit umbrella. I wonder if they're FCSA accredited - the OP can ask them

Comment

Working...
                    X