• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella offering expenses?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Is today April 6th 2021?

Ask them if that is valid after the forthcoming changes (hint as I've said in every post so far - it isn't).
    Yes they are if you are outside of SDC. Is that an apology you are offering? ?

Comment

Originally posted by jlcook99 View Post
      Yes they are if you are outside of SDC. Is that an apology you are offering? ������
      HMRC regards an inside IR35 determination by a client as confirmation that you subject to SDC and therefore cannot claim expenses.

Sadly that was in a meeting with HMRC so I don't have a link to the guidance in HMRC's manual to hand - although equally that's not surprising as it ain't April yet.

But given that I led the fight to stop expenses being imposed on PSCs yes I do know what I'm talking about.

The only unknown here is how HMRC will regard expenses where blanket bans have been used but I would expect blanket ban to be regarded as an inside determination.
      Last edited by eek; 18 February 2021, 14:12.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

HMRC regards an inside IR35 determination by a client as confirmation that you subject to SDC and therefore cannot claim expenses.

Sadly that was in a meeting with HMRC so I don't have a link to the guidance in HMRC's manual to hand.

But given that I led the fight to stop expenses being imposed on PSCs yes I do know what I'm talking about.

The only unknown here is how HMRC will regard expenses where blanket bans have been used.

Like I’ve already said I’ve had no determination. The client has decided to stop engaging anyone through a PSC. You are wrong. If you can demonstrate you aren’t subject to supervision, direction or control then you can continue to claim limited expenses into the new tax year.

Comment

Like I’ve already said I’ve had no determination. The client has decided to stop engaging anyone through a PSC. You are wrong. If you can demonstrate you aren’t subject to supervision, direction or control then you can continue to claim limited expenses into the new tax year.
          Let's wait until the internal HMRC guidance appears in April then shall we.

I have my advice (from HMRC directly) you have the opinion of someone working at an umbrella.

Now it's possible that you may be allowed to claim expenses but it's equally possible that HMRC will disallow them and seek the unpaid tax back - so I would factor that in before thinking everything is good.

Comment

Let's wait until the internal HMRC guidance appears in April then shall we.

I have my advice (from HMRC directly) you have the opinion of someone working at an umbrella.

Now it's possible that you may be allowed to claim expenses but it's equally possible that HMRC will disallow them and seek the unpaid tax back - so I would factor that in before thinking everything is good.
            I’ll take that as an apology

Comment

Why should I apologise for telling you that the umbrella company is talking out of their arse based on the information I've been given directly from HMRC.

Comment

You are asking a bunch of random contractors questions and then showing your arse when someone gives you (possibly) incorrect answer? You are gonna be popular on here.

If you want expert opinion then **** off and ring round the brollies. Don't come on here looking for apologies from people who are trying to help you for free. Pillock

Are you gonna apologise to us for posting this in the wrong area of the forums? Should have been in the umbrella section? No? didn't think so.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 18 February 2021, 17:41.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                  I was told by HMRC following the introduction into the Public Sector...
                  "anyone deemed inside IR35 is highly unlikely to pass an SDC test, as such no expenses would be allowable."
                  Claiming they've not give a determination and it's a blanket ban is tantamount to the same thing.

So you are hanging all your hopes on passing SDC when you will not.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Really?! They take it from your gross pay not there admin fee.
                    Crazy talk

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

And I'll take that as you coming back to us crying that you're out of pocket by 1st May 2021...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X