• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella choice advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella choice advice please

I've just picked up a contract which offers few Umbrellas and unsure which to deal with.
    Has Anyone positive/encouraging opinions for any of:

1. Focused Consulting Umbrella.
    2. Paystream
    3. PayMe
    4. Pyntronot Payroll

Thanks for any comments/opinions.

Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 November 2019, 16:55. Reason: Link doesnt contribute to question & removed

Originally posted by Plot72 View Post
    I've just picked up a contract which offers few Umbrellas and unsure which to deal with.

2. Paystream
    3. PayMe
    4. Pyntronot Payroll

Hi Plot72,

I'm not sure what the criteria is for using those umbrella companies, or how they are ranked on the website, but if you want peace of mind then I would go with one of the FCSA Accredited umbrella companies.

FCSA Members

Thanks

Zeeshan
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 November 2019, 16:55.
    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Be very wary of that umbrella list in the link. I see payrise at 43 but they closed last year didn't they. Wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it.

Do a search on the forums using the following in Google to see if there is any previous posts.

(umbrella name) site:forums.contractoruk.com
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would definitely avoid any list that makes money from advertising.

All legal umbrellas should give you the same pay - the only thing that will differ between them is:-

1) the fee they extract but remember cheaper may not be better.
        2) how they handle pension contributions as money can only either be paid to you (and the taxman) or into a pension fund. In theory you can put everything beyond living wage into your pension if you so desire but only Dolan / Contractor Umbrella and Clarity (the people that were Contractor Umbrella before it moved into Dolan's office) offer that as far as I'm aware.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Plot72 View Post

2. Paystream
          3. PayMe
          4. Pyntronot Payroll

From that list I've been with Paystream (none of the others) for last two contracts (18 months and 4 months and the only times I've used an umbrella) and have had great service from them. If you're able to go with one not on the list I'd suggest Lucy@Clarity.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 November 2019, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
            Hi Plot72,

I'm not sure what the criteria is for using those umbrella companies, or how they are ranked on the website, but if you want peace of mind then I would go with one of the FCSA Accredited umbrella companies.

FCSA Members

Thanks

Zeeshan
            Thank you so much for the great link, the list is now reduced by 50%. Seems a great accreditation system to weed out some of the sharks of a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              From that list I've been with Paystream (none of the others) for last two contracts (18 months and 4 months and the only times I've used an umbrella) and have had great service from them. If you're able to go with one not on the list I'd suggest Lucy@Clarity.
              Fantastic, thank you for this refining advice. I've requested Lucy but expect the option will focus towards Paystream as an Umbrella of choice/

Comment

Are you saying you have to pick from that list or that they just suggest a few they get backhanders through? I personally would pick one independently. I don't think that they can make you use one of their preferred list.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  Are you saying you have to pick from that list or that they just suggest a few they get backhanders through? I personally would pick one independently. I don't think that they can make you use one of their preferred list.
                  What makes you think that?

Many companies have preferred suppliers lists that they've spent time and money vetting and aren't very flexible when it comes to putting new suppliers on. Why is this any different..

And then there are the referral deals of course...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                    Of course they can, just like companies\organisations can have preferred supplier lists.

Comment

Working...
                    X