• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella choice advice please"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Plot72 View Post
    I drew a similar conclusion but thought possibly misread the option. The agent repeated the list and added Focused Consulting to the list of restricted Umbrellas.
    Hmmm. I would be very suspicious of any ‘umbrella’ that requires a phone call to explain what your take home would be, a proper umbrella’s explanation is straightforward and usually available on the website via a calculator.

I would use Paystream if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• Plot72
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Makes for interesting reading
    The last one on the list states this on their site, so not even sure if they are actually an umbrella:
    "The Pytronot team are able to run your whole recruitment payroll administration for all your clients, regardless of the type of business they own. We work with umbrella companies, limited companies and PAYE contractors across the entirety of the United Kingdom."
    Nice bit of due diligence there
    I drew a similar conclusion but thought possibly misread the option. The agent repeated the list and added Focused Consulting to the list of restricted Umbrellas.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Hi

I've not used any of the above but it was mentioned in another thread that paystream allow u to pay into a sipp for £2.60 a week which would allow u to use your existing pension

Leave a comment:

• Greenjuicesmoothie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
    I can’t imagine that end clients care about which umbrella and they leave that to the agency to sort out.
    I would assume agencies are looking to resolve the loss of income through ir35 etc by forcing an umbrella chosen by them so they can agree an improved margin in the chain at the various stages .No idea just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suspect that too.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
    I can’t imagine that end clients care about which umbrella and they leave that to the agency to sort out.
    I would assume agencies are looking to resolve the loss of income through ir35 etc by forcing an umbrella chosen by them so they can agree an improved margin in the chain at the various stages .No idea just a guess.
    End clients should care, especially if the liabilities falls on them at any point My guess if that IR35 isn't going to actually cause any financial loss to the agency (I could be wrong) but they are not the ones that are having to account for any additional taxes, unless they are taking a cut in their percentage to assist covering those costs for the contractor, or the end client is cutting their percentage to up the contract rate.

Leave a comment:

• TheInvoicer
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    1. Focused Consulting Umbrella.
    2. Paystream
    3. PayMe
    4. Pyntronot Payroll
    Makes for interesting reading
    The last one on the list states this on their site, so not even sure if they are actually an umbrella:
    "The Pytronot team are able to run your whole recruitment payroll administration for all your clients, regardless of the type of business they own. We work with umbrella companies, limited companies and PAYE contractors across the entirety of the United Kingdom."
    Nice bit of due diligence there

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Always worth asking if the list is a true PSL that has to be adhered to, or just a suggestion for people who don't have an umbrella in place

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Are you saying you have to pick from that list or that they just suggest a few they get backhanders through? I personally would pick one independently. I don't think that they can make you use one of their preferred list.
    Of course they can, just like companies\organisations can have preferred supplier lists.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Are you saying you have to pick from that list or that they just suggest a few they get backhanders through? I personally would pick one independently. I don't think that they can make you use one of their preferred list.
    What makes you think that?

Many companies have preferred suppliers lists that they've spent time and money vetting and aren't very flexible when it comes to putting new suppliers on. Why is this any different..

And then there are the referral deals of course...

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Plot72
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    From that list I've been with Paystream (none of the others) for last two contracts (18 months and 4 months and the only times I've used an umbrella) and have had great service from them. If you're able to go with one not on the list I'd suggest Lucy@Clarity.
    Fantastic, thank you for this refining advice. I've requested Lucy but expect the option will focus towards Paystream as an Umbrella of choice/

Leave a comment:

• Plot72
    replied
    Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
    Hi Plot72,

I'm not sure what the criteria is for using those umbrella companies, or how they are ranked on the website, but if you want peace of mind then I would go with one of the FCSA Accredited umbrella companies.

FCSA Members

Thanks

Zeeshan
    Thank you so much for the great link, the list is now reduced by 50%. Seems a great accreditation system to weed out some of the sharks of a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    I've just picked up a contract which offers few Umbrellas and unsure which to deal with.
    Has Anyone positive/encouraging opinions for any of:

1. Focused Consulting Umbrella.
    2. Paystream
    3. PayMe
    4. Pyntronot Payroll

Thanks for any comments/opinions.

From that list I've been with Paystream (none of the others) for last two contracts (18 months and 4 months and the only times I've used an umbrella) and have had great service from them. If you're able to go with one not on the list I'd suggest Lucy@Clarity.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 November 2019, 16:55.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I would definitely avoid any list that makes money from advertising.

All legal umbrellas should give you the same pay - the only thing that will differ between them is:-

1) the fee they extract but remember cheaper may not be better.
    2) how they handle pension contributions as money can only either be paid to you (and the taxman) or into a pension fund. In theory you can put everything beyond living wage into your pension if you so desire but only Dolan / Contractor Umbrella and Clarity (the people that were Contractor Umbrella before it moved into Dolan's office) offer that as far as I'm aware.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X