• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 post April 2020: Choosing a legitimate Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Contractorumbrella. Lucy who's the MD is all over this and has put a lot of effort in to fighting legislation in the past. Being very active on the forums she'll know exactly what's going on and what our situation is.

Oh, she runs the All Umbrellas Are Equal bit as well.

Www.contractorumbrella.com
    Hi all. I'm totally new to contracting and am looking for a reputable firm to go with. Is Contractor Umbrella still good?

Currently I'm only looking to contract for a few weeks but the company wants me to go through an umbrella company for the work.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Skwire View Post
      Hi all. I'm totally new to contracting and am looking for a reputable firm to go with. Is Contractor Umbrella still good?

Currently I'm only looking to contract for a few weeks but the company wants me to go through an umbrella company for the work.

Many thanks.
      We would recommend the company formed by the former Contractor Umbrella staff - Clarity Umbrella.

That's not to say that contractor umbrella isn't bad (and they still post here) but with Clarity we can hassle their owner if things go wrong.

Orca Payroll and Fair Pay would be another 2 that I can recommend (and that list is likely to get easier to write in the near future).
      Last edited by eek; 24 November 2020, 09:20.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Da Skwire View Post

Many thanks.
        I'm currently using JSA, problem free so far, £10 a week. They are a large long established business.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          but with Clarity we can hassle their owner if things go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            We would recommend the company formed by the former Contractor Umbrella staff - Clarity Umbrella.

That's not to say that contractor umbrella isn't bad (and they still post here) but with Clarity we can hassle their owner if things go wrong.

Orca Payroll and Fair Pay would be another 2 that I can recommend (and that list is likely to get easier to write in the near future).

Thank you for the mention eek! Its most appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Contractorumbrella. Lucy who's the MD is all over this and has put a lot of effort in to fighting legislation in the past. Being very active on the forums she'll know exactly what's going on and what our situation is.

Oh, she runs the All Umbrellas Are Equal bit as well.

Www.contractorumbrella.com
              What does limited pay mean? I have a limited company, my contract was caught in IR35, I can choose pay PAYE by my limited company not the umbrella company? Sorry, I am really confused.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Little View Post

What does limited pay mean? I have a limited company, my contract was caught in IR35, I can choose pay PAYE by my limited company not the umbrella company? Sorry, I am really confused.

Nancy
                You shouldn't be. This is straight forward and it's your job. You should have half a clue. Try the newbies guide, IR35, and umbrella section on the right hand side and do some reading
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Little View Post
                  my contract was caught in IR35, I can choose pay PAYE by my limited company not the umbrella company?
                  Not from April as the deductions would need to be taken by the agency or end client, if they paid your ltd company you would simply receive the net figure after all tax and NI has been taken.

Comment

One of the contracts I've been offered is inside IR35 but a very high day rate. There is a very strict client permitted Umbrella list. I don't see most of them mentioned in this thread, but could have missed them. Any highlights from these? I see ContractorUmbrella has changed a lot, as has been mentioned in the thread. A main plus for me would be custom pension to a SIPP or whichever provider I wish, to a custom value.

Umbrella list:

Advance
                    ContractorUmbrella
                    DanBro
                    ICS
                    LiquidFriday
                    Nasa
                    Parasol

Not exactly the most generous of lists. Thanks, in advance, for any recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                      One of the contracts I've been offered is inside IR35 but a very high day rate. There is a very strict client permitted Umbrella list. I don't see most of them mentioned in this thread, but could have missed them. Any highlights from these? I see ContractorUmbrella has changed a lot, as has been mentioned in the thread. A main plus for me would be custom pension to a SIPP or whichever provider I wish, to a custom value.

Umbrella list:

Advance
                      ContractorUmbrella
                      DanBro
                      ICS
                      LiquidFriday
                      Nasa
                      Parasol

Not exactly the most generous of lists. Thanks, in advance, for any recommendations.

Are they FCSA members?

have you spoken to them?

If you want to know about their pension options I would suggest you ask in another (new) thread as pensions have nothing to do with whether an umbrella is legitimate or dodgy.
                      Last edited by eek; 26 February 2021, 07:58.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X