• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

worth the move from perm to contract at present?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worth the move from perm to contract at present?

I am in a not so well paid perm at the moment and got a outside IR35 6 months contract role with a reasonable pay , with take home difference is 2000 GBP. As its just few months away to the contract rules change , I am re-thinking. The agency says after IR35 rules change in April they will offer me 70-80 GBP per day extra to compensate which would keep take home same. Can you please share your thoughts? Thanks
    Last edited by truhislo; 3 November 2020, 07:01.

No
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Initial thought: No way would I go back to contracting for the next 18 months at least. Let COVID and Brexit die down first and see how it pans out.

Your situation: Ask the agent what will change to push the contract inside IR35 in six months? Hint: My guess is that your contract is inside IR35 from the start and they're simply levying a "new contractor tax" on you for six months and using April as an excuse. Something has to change within the contract or the working practices to shift the status, the "April changes" simply means that the end client rather than the contractor declare the status.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by truhislo View Post
        I am in a not so well paid perm at the moment and got a outside IR35 6 months contract role with a reasonable pay , with take home difference is 2000 GBP. As its just few months away to the contract rules change , I am re-thinking. The agency says after IR35 rules change in April they will offer me 70-80 GBP per day extra to compensate which would keep take home same. Can you please share your thoughts? Thanks
        The IR35 rules don't change, just the whose responsibility it is to work out if it is inside or outside. Whats inside after April is inside before April.

Comment

So they are offering you an outside gig which they know is inside? Wow. Talk about shafting you from the beginning. Outside to inside will be top of HMRCs hit list. New revenue stream for the gov when they've been paying through the nose for 6 months. They should be all over it.

Stay where you are.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by truhislo View Post
            It will depend on the original day rate as to whether the £70-£80 increase is enough to essentially cover the additional employment costs. That is what I would look at first. If you use our calculator and add in the original rate for the month, then total the Employers NI, the employment tax and our margin, that is the amount extra that you would need to look for to try and net extra each month. Then play around with the day rate to see what you need to get to net the same figure!

Hope that makes sense, but happy to talk you through it if you want.

That aside as everyone else said the fact that they are allowing you outside with a view to moving you inside screams HMRC issues all over

Comment

Why not go in through an umbrella from day one and negotiate a rate you're happy with. There is no way you can defend an outside assessment so why even bother?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

2000 a month is not that much of a difference.

For me I'm looking at 4k+ monthly difference in take home pay for my current contract vs the perm offers I got and I'm not earning anything special.

I think at the numbers posted it's not worth the risk.

Comment

Working...
                X