• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of I.T. jobs in the U.K.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    "Still the case"? References to where it was the case please. Or have they managed to hide this from everyone except you?
    Never heard of it?

Posted workers abroad on short assignments - Your Europe

They usually work in 5-6 months turns so they don't have to pay tax in the host country.

Comment

Wasn't it the head of Barclays who pointed out the days of 6,000 people working in the same building might be over? If you were head of risk at a big company I suspect you will be making plans to have your workforce distributed ether at home or in smaller offices in case something like this happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
        Never heard of it?

They usually work in 5-6 months turns so they don't have to pay tax in the host country.
        I must be blind, but I can't see where on that page it states that

"...banks would get workers posted from the EU or other countries where labour is cheap, put them in hostels and then bus them to office every morning and offload to a hostel in the evening for a few months and then replace with a new set..."

Help me out please?

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
          Never heard of it?

Um what we are asking for was an actual example of what you described.

that just explains how I send staff from say France to work in Germany...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Wasn't it the head of Barclays who pointed out the days of 6,000 people working in the same building might be over? If you were head of risk at a big company I suspect you will be making plans to have your workforce distributed ether at home or in smaller offices in case something like this happens again.
            Yes but he changed his mind a month ago and seems to be encouraging Barclays staff to return to the office long term.

Barclays: We want our people back in the office - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Yes but he changed his mind a month ago and seems to be encouraging Barclays staff to return to the office long term.

Barclays: We want our people back in the office - BBC News
              I can see why he would want people back in the office but I think the banks having a huge office in the City/Docklands to do everything might be coming to a close. They cost a fortune and I would thought after the last few months it would make sense to have your staff spread round a bit.

Comment

I think a lot of the momentum to either return to office or remain WFH will be sector dependent. There was a survey quoted on the BBC this week saying the sectors with highest WFH rates were Education and IT. Assuming this will be a longer term trend for IT staff, I could see some increased outsourcing in the short term as companies become more focused on cost reduction but I'm not convinced it will be a major long term impact.

Comment

I've been 99.9% WFH (IT ) for the last 5 years.
                  I've no intention of ever commuting again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    If this has been done already then please link to the appropriate thread.

There is a growing consensus that office workers are getting too used to working from home. Few have gone back to offices yet and few want to return even when the Covid situation improves. This clearly has a huge impact on the surrounding economy: for example food places, pubs, shops and then the businesses that manufacture, supply and distribute to them. Eventually the businesses fail and no tax is paid to the government, so the country goes broke.

All very foreboding.

But I digress.

I meant to write more specifically about IT jobs and how it feels that, not only the workers, but also the companies are getting used to the whole work from home idea. Or rather, work remotely. Which logically then becomes offshore. There is very likely to be a massive shift in office/finance/IT jobs being sent offshore, much to our detriment. We actually need to get back into the office, we need to prove our worth and we need to be there together in teams to get the job done.

The country is feeling good for having had a nice time working at home, but there is no silver lining to this. We're heading down a very worrying path that will very likely lead to thousands of jobs being lost in the UK.

Not sure if this has been discussed here but I'd love for someone to say that we're all worrying about nothing and things will get back to normal and improve even more afterwards.

Interesting link and quote below, for reference.

Young's boss defiantly keeps pubs open in 'ghostly' City - but gives a blunt warning...Go back to work - or Britain will be bankrupt by this time next year

As a further warning for Britain's reluctant office workers, he reports that two chief executives he has spoken to this month are considering reducing costs by outsourcing payroll and IT jobs to South Africa and India if working from home becomes the norm.
                    As much as I hate commuting to the London office I have to see 100% agree with this. As a person in charge of outsourcing (a recent move away from contracting cause its dead) I'm not even looking at UK contractors because of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                      As much as I hate commuting to the London office I have to see 100% agree with this. As a person in charge of outsourcing (a recent move away from contracting cause its dead) I'm not even looking at UK contractors because of the price.
                      I don't think the problem is Contractors refusing to go to the office as most of us have high degrees of flexibility and resilience but we don't have contracts to go to or when we have they are WFH. Not through our choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X