• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F'ing NAS took a dump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    I just acquired an Oracle ZFS Unified Storage Appliance, fingers crossed it will stop me buying second hand storage arrays....
    I have a lot of p0rn but that is a bit OTT
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I have a lot of Linux Distros but that is a bit OTT
      It's for my AIX, Oracle Solaris, and HP-UX Distros, honest....

Comment

I took a look at the prices of this stuff and can't figure out why people would buy them. Is it just for the turnkey solution?

I literally took a AMD machine out of a skip, put new memory and power supply on it and added a 4disk RAID. Than installed a linux distro and off I went. that was five years ago. Only issue I had is finding a small ATA disk as the boot drive is ATA. The raid disks are SATA.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I took a look at the prices of this stuff and can't figure out why people would buy them. Is it just for the turnkey solution?

I literally took a AMD machine out of a skip, put new memory and power supply on it and added a 4disk RAID. Than installed a linux distro and off I went. that was five years ago. Only issue I had is finding a small ATA disk as the boot drive is ATA. The raid disks are SATA.
          Turnkey, ease of use, partner-acceptance-factor and resilience. Most consumer RAID cards are tulipe and software raid is rarely the place to be, unless you're doing something with JBOD.

If I wanted a NAS for the wife and I to store things on I'd go off the shelf, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I also have a general dislike of raid 5 for media servers as it doesn't really offer anything that can't be achieved via a parity system (unraid / snapraid / grumpy) yet requires all disks to be installed at the same start point (resulting in compounded risk).
            Nobody should be using RAID5 for anything, ideally.

Comment

Going for a 4 disk RAID10, need to work out if I should bother keeping the good 2TB drive in my existing NAS or not as its a fair few years old anyway
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
              X