• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best password manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best password manager

Following the fun that is heartbleed I have an awful lot of passwords which I need to change.

So it seems a very good time to invest in a password manager. I've looked at 1password and lastpass but really want the best option (I'm not restricted to those two as I haven't bought one yet).

Ideally, I want something that can cope with multiple users (me, Mrs eek, possibly eek jrs) and support both mac, windows and iOS and sync across machines that are online...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

< watches thread with interest>

Comment

I've use Roboform for years and very happy with it. Syncs with mobile so always got them. Can save stuff like name and address to speed up filling in of forms as well though I don't put my credit card in it. Dunno why, just never did.

Bit of a funny interface to Chrome though as it doesn't allow toolbars. Has either a pull down button or a bar across the bottom. When you do a download the roboform bar can obscure it a bit but it's small potatoes compared to how useful Roboform is. I used to be guilty of having only 4 or 5 passwords but everyone is unique and strong seems I don't have to remember them.

Website says it has profiles and multi platform support but I haven't used that element..

http://www.roboform.com/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I use Lastpass and it works very well. Free on PC, paid for on mobile.

I can't find any up to date reviews, but all of the "Lastpass vs Roboform" articles favour Lastpass. In some cases this is because they say that Roboform is chargeable, but it appears to be free now (on both Windows and Android).

Alternatively, if you're concerned about handing over all of your passwords to some online company, you could try Keepass. Store the encrypted passwords offline and copy to your phone (there is an Android app), or as some people do upload the encrypted password database to Dropbox or similar, keep your key offline on each device and then you don't have to worry about keeping multiple databases synched.

Comment

Password Safe

I have been using PasswordSafe - passwordsafe.sourceforge.net - Password Safe for some time and, as the post above suggests, I sync my information via DropBox so always have it

PasswordSafe was designed by Bruce Schneier which is always a good endorsement!

It's also useful as it can be installed on machines without administrator rights if that is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ollyw View Post
            I have been using PasswordSafe - passwordsafe.sourceforge.net - Password Safe for some time and, as the post above suggests, I sync my information via DropBox so always have it

PasswordSafe was designed by Bruce Schneier which is always a good endorsement!

It's also useful as it can be installed on machines without administrator rights if that is necessary.
            I think that rather misses the mac and ios requirements which are really priority 1 and 2...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Been using Roboform for years, works on Mac (iPad and Macbook) too but not Linux although does work on my Android. WNLS about the Chrome interface not being as good as FF but it's liveable with.

I have also used LastPass and it is works nicely too, only tried that on Win and Linux though.

Comment

Forgot to say - multiple users. Not sure how that would work with Roboform as you only have a master password for all pass files as far as I know...

As for heartbleed I have 1,000 password files by the looks of it and feck knows how many servers to update

Comment

Edition Comparison - KeePass
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    As for heartbleed I have 1,000 password files by the looks of it and feck knows how many servers to update
                    From what I have gathered so far, if you change passwords on a web site or server which hasn't been patched/locked down already your new password might get snaffled.

New CA certificates have been mentioned, then generating new private/public key pairs, then changing your passwords.

Some reading - have a look at the comments too:

Krebs on Security
                    Matthew Green - cryptographyengineering.com
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X