• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WiFi Extender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I first tried with a TP-Link wifi extender but the instructions were insanely difficult to understand. I finally googled and discovered I wasn't the only one struggling to install it.

At my wits' end I bought a Netgear plug-in extender (dearer than the prices shown on this thread) and it's been ace.

Comment

No offence but it was pretty easy to install and it also gives you the option to configure it using a web browser, easily one of the best things I spent £20 on.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

I am looking at buying a powerline wifi extender, but I'm wondering if it will be compatible with the older powerline adapters I already have. The older ones are only used to create a wired connection in another room, but I need another adapter that will act amplify the wireless signal based entirely on the powerline, and not on a LAN connection and not by leveraging the wifi signal (which is too weak in that part of my house).

Has anyone here bought a powerline wireless extender (like the one below) and had it work OK with an existing older powerline set (different make/models)?

TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
        Last edited by ChimpMaster; 30 March 2015, 12:47.

Comment

353 review on Amazon will prob give you better feedback than on here

Comment

I had an old BT Home Hub 1.0 gathering dust in the loft. They can be reconfigured to provide a second wireless AP on your home network. So now we have the Home Hub 3 covering upstairs and the older Hub covering downstairs. Phones and slabs connect to whichever wireless signal is strongest.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              I had an old BT Home Hub 1.0 gathering dust in the loft. They can be reconfigured to provide a second wireless AP on your home network. So now we have the Home Hub 3 covering upstairs and the older Hub covering downstairs. Phones and slabs connect to whichever wireless signal is strongest.
              Did you connect the Hub via powerline+LAN cable, or just through a spare phone socket?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Did you connect the Hub via powerline+LAN cable, or just through a spare phone socket?
                I connected the old Hub 1.0 through a lan cable to the Hub 3. No powerlines, just concealed cable. The Hub 3 runs the network. The Hub 1 is just used as an extra AP.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  I did the same with my old BT hub after an upgrade. I do have problems with it disconnecting as I walk between areas of the house though. If I am playing a game and wander across the house it will disconnect and re-connect which narks me but not really by enough to do anything about it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I did the same with my old BT hub after an upgrade. I do have problems with it disconnecting as I walk between areas of the house though. If I am playing a game and wander across the house it will disconnect and re-connect which narks me but not really by enough to do anything about it.
                    The Hub 1.0 is a/b wireless only, later models are n class. So I have one AP better than the other, but you can't really notice.

Funny how small modern houses are good at blocking signals, despite the wafer thin walls.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      I am looking at buying a powerline wifi extender, but I'm wondering if it will be compatible with the older powerline adapters I already have. The older ones are only used to create a wired connection in another room, but I need another adapter that will act amplify the wireless signal based entirely on the powerline, and not on a LAN connection and not by leveraging the wifi signal (which is too weak in that part of my house).

Has anyone here bought a powerline wireless extender (like the one below) and had it work OK with an existing older powerline set (different make/models)?

TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
                      I think they tell you on their website.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X