• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WiFi Extender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Extender

For those looking for one.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...i-fi-extender/

Mine's a Huwaei (cost more than that darn it!) but these extenders are brilliant gadgets.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Same price but branded on Amazon:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...=wifi+extender

Medion is ok but no after sales support. I still have a Medion TV bought at Aldi in Germany 4 years ago which I can't use because it only works with its own remote, which is nowhere to find.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
        Different functionality, the one you have linked to is simply a range extender, it connects using WiFi to an existing wireless network and retransmits the signal. They're all right for maybe getting a signal in a black spot in a house, but you will still have a degraded connection.

The Aldi device acts as a range extender or can be configured as a wireless router (taking a wired connection and then creating a Wireless network). The equivalent TP-Link device is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W.../dp/B00APZZ30W

I've got one of these, my house is flood wired with cat 6 and it allows me to create a wireless N hotspot in my bedroom so that my iPad can connect to it; wired connection from wall to device -> create hotspot. I can then transcode my Plex media library at full HD spec when watching movies in bed.

I am hitting ~ 90 Mbps from that hotspot (on my LAN), if I connect to my home router (1 floor up, other side of house) then I'm hitting between 15 - 20 Mbps.

The other thing it can do is create a hotspot using a hotel's wired internet connection. Always handy.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Bought one of these on Monday at Argos Buy TP Link 300MBPS Wall Plug Extender at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Wireless networking accessories. they were £20 but they've gone back up, though I'm sure Amazon will still have it for £20
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

I bought a Billion one as it matches my router. No complaints so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPa...+WiFi+extender

I have to say it's miles better than the powerline things I was using previously and they gave up after a couple of months as well. Apparently quite a common problem with them.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I went for HomePlug (mains networking) in the end - several of their plugs broadcast WiFi networks as well as having ethernet so they meet all needs in our house.

I even can select which WiFi network to connect to on my iPad, to control whether US or UK netflix is accessed.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I went for HomePlug (mains networking) in the end
                After peeing about with WiFi extenders, I did the same too! Opted for some TP-link "Up to 500mbit" powerlines which operate at around 280mbit...good enough for the Xbox and Windows Media Centre (Center).
                "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I even can select which WiFi network to connect to on my iPad, to control whether US or UK netflix is accessed.
                  ok, now that IS cool !

Comment

Ohh sports gear next week. And there is a store nearer me than I thought.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X