• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WiFi Extender

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WiFi Extender"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I am looking at buying a powerline wifi extender, but I'm wondering if it will be compatible with the older powerline adapters I already have. The older ones are only used to create a wired connection in another room, but I need another adapter that will act amplify the wireless signal based entirely on the powerline, and not on a LAN connection and not by leveraging the wifi signal (which is too weak in that part of my house).

Has anyone here bought a powerline wireless extender (like the one below) and had it work OK with an existing older powerline set (different make/models)?

TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    I think they tell you on their website.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I did the same with my old BT hub after an upgrade. I do have problems with it disconnecting as I walk between areas of the house though. If I am playing a game and wander across the house it will disconnect and re-connect which narks me but not really by enough to do anything about it.
    The Hub 1.0 is a/b wireless only, later models are n class. So I have one AP better than the other, but you can't really notice.

Funny how small modern houses are good at blocking signals, despite the wafer thin walls.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I had an old BT Home Hub 1.0 gathering dust in the loft. They can be reconfigured to provide a second wireless AP on your home network. So now we have the Home Hub 3 covering upstairs and the older Hub covering downstairs. Phones and slabs connect to whichever wireless signal is strongest.
    I did the same with my old BT hub after an upgrade. I do have problems with it disconnecting as I walk between areas of the house though. If I am playing a game and wander across the house it will disconnect and re-connect which narks me but not really by enough to do anything about it.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Did you connect the Hub via powerline+LAN cable, or just through a spare phone socket?
    I connected the old Hub 1.0 through a lan cable to the Hub 3. No powerlines, just concealed cable. The Hub 3 runs the network. The Hub 1 is just used as an extra AP.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I had an old BT Home Hub 1.0 gathering dust in the loft. They can be reconfigured to provide a second wireless AP on your home network. So now we have the Home Hub 3 covering upstairs and the older Hub covering downstairs. Phones and slabs connect to whichever wireless signal is strongest.
    Did you connect the Hub via powerline+LAN cable, or just through a spare phone socket?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    353 review on Amazon will prob give you better feedback than on here

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I am looking at buying a powerline wifi extender, but I'm wondering if it will be compatible with the older powerline adapters I already have. The older ones are only used to create a wired connection in another room, but I need another adapter that will act amplify the wireless signal based entirely on the powerline, and not on a LAN connection and not by leveraging the wifi signal (which is too weak in that part of my house).

Has anyone here bought a powerline wireless extender (like the one below) and had it work OK with an existing older powerline set (different make/models)?

TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 30 March 2015, 12:47.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    No offence but it was pretty easy to install and it also gives you the option to configure it using a web browser, easily one of the best things I spent £20 on.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    I first tried with a TP-Link wifi extender but the instructions were insanely difficult to understand. I finally googled and discovered I wasn't the only one struggling to install it.

At my wits' end I bought a Netgear plug-in extender (dearer than the prices shown on this thread) and it's been ace.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ohh sports gear next week. And there is a store nearer me than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I even can select which WiFi network to connect to on my iPad, to control whether US or UK netflix is accessed.
    ok, now that IS cool !

Leave a comment:

• Brian Potter
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I went for HomePlug (mains networking) in the end
    After peeing about with WiFi extenders, I did the same too! Opted for some TP-link "Up to 500mbit" powerlines which operate at around 280mbit...good enough for the Xbox and Windows Media Centre (Center).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I went for HomePlug (mains networking) in the end - several of their plugs broadcast WiFi networks as well as having ethernet so they meet all needs in our house.

I even can select which WiFi network to connect to on my iPad, to control whether US or UK netflix is accessed.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I bought a Billion one as it matches my router. No complaints so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPa...+WiFi+extender

I have to say it's miles better than the powerline things I was using previously and they gave up after a couple of months as well. Apparently quite a common problem with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X