• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extend Wifi through household mains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend Wifi through household mains

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on extending my home wifi network (Sky) to my office. The office is in the garden and out of wifi access (or the wifi signal is very weak there). I am aware of homeplug, and currently have homeplug run out to the office which is working fine. The problem is I am having to run the homeplug into a switch (office end) and then cable out from there to my devices.

Is there any way of extending the wifi out to the office, via the homeplug style (ie through the mains) ? I have been googling but it's not clear to me if a device uses homeplug and wifi and in what context, eg does it extend the wifi to a homeplug setup, or extend it to a homeplug setup and additional wifi?

I got rather mudddle with a wifi bridge and don't want to repeat this experience.

TIA

CF

Devolo do a homeplug set with wifi.

or you can get an access point with a switch and change your current switch, then use to set up a second wifi for the office.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Devolo do a homeplug set with wifi.

or you can get an access point with a switch and change your current switch, then use to set up a second wifi for the office.
      Second wifi would be a different subnet?

Comment

Using the devolo kit - it just works. Iy also has the advantage that you can move it to a different room if you need it there.
        World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by CourtesyFlush View Post
          Second wifi would be a different subnet?
          No, turn off dhcp and use bridge mode on the 2nd wifi router. You'll need to change the IP range to match the first router and put the second router outside dhcp lease range.

I have that setup, works a treat.
          Last edited by gingerjedi; 15 September 2013, 09:17.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            No, turn off dhcp and use bridge mode on the 2nd wifi router. You'll need to change the IP range to match the first router and put the second router outside dhcp lease range.

I have that setup, works a treat.
            WGJS+1
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I had a wireless extender setup using TP Link stuff from Amazon but range of it is extremely limited so didn't quite reach to the hot tub in the garden. Ended up using the second router as already explained and works really well. The only minor gripe is that even though the wireless connection stays up my phone doesn't seem to continue to receive/send data occasionally when I move near the main router. Doesn't seem to happen to anyone else so need to look in to why at some point but it's a minor issue. Turning wireless on and off fixes it so might be the settings.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a cable running from the office at the rear of my house to the lounge, around the outside of the house, to a network socket and then a wireless access point.

Works a treat, well it did before the builder dug into the external cable.
                Last edited by Scrag Meister; 17 September 2013, 08:03.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I had a wireless extender setup using TP Link stuff from Amazon but range of it is extremely limited so didn't quite reach to the hot tub in the garden.
                  WTF do you need WiFi in your hot tub for?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    WTF do you need WiFi in your hot tub for?
                    You could say they same about a champagne chiller and an ashtray but the cigars do get a bit soggy and nothing worse than warm champers baby.

or a less refined answer would be 'cos I can'
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X