• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Macintosh Apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macintosh Apps

Given that I have a lovely new Apple Mac (for the first time in 18 years) what apps should I be looking to get.

I already have Office for Mac (and I'm removing Outlook tonight) so I could do with a decent email package but word and excel are covered.

So what

email
    text editor
    IDE (for Java, javascript and node)

other packages

would people recommend.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Why not keep Outlook? If not the inbuilt mail app is more that good enough (I have ClientCo on Outlook, mine on Mail)

Text editor I use TextWrangler and any IDE's I use in a VM (VirtualBox is free and bullet proof) so I can use VS within them.

I use CoRD for RDP to MS Servers, Omni Graffle Pro for Diagrams (including Visio)
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've kept Outlook as well, if only because all of my clients use it.

I've got Merlin for Project Management (and OG of course...) with a few others.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Textmate is my text editor of choice.

Xcode, if you fancy a bit of mac dev.

I use VM fusion, might try the free option mentioned above the next time there's a big upgrade.

Evernote & Dropbox (if you're a user)

Hype is an html5 animation thingie I need to spend more time with, but looks good from an initial stab

There's an MS RDP which I used to use regularly, not had a need for a while so not sure about the latest version.

There''s a mac-legion promotion on at the moment which will get you ripit, tech tool pro and djay which I use, not sure about the others.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          email
          Outlook! (I still use Sparrow which is great, but couldn't recommend it now for obvious reasons)

Parallels is a superb app for VM use, I use it daily for running VS2012/SQL etc and its always flawless.

Steam for games. Pixelmator is good for graphics work.
          Last edited by Durbs; 26 November 2012, 21:31.

Comment

I've always used Apple Mail, I like it, used it since, wait for it......OSX Developer Preview. Still got it, had to pay for it too. Still got the Mac Cube too.....

iWork is good, due for a refresh, integrates with iCloud, mucks up my Office produced CV tho...

I love ZOC for terminal emulation, and CarbonCopyCloner, Transmission and Transmit are must-haves. Crossover to is useful for any apps that are Windows only and you don't want the hassle of a full blown VM.

Installing 10.8.3 update now from dev site - I reckon it must be some sort of prep for iTunes 11........

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              There's an MS RDP which I used to use regularly, not had a need for a while so not sure about the latest version.
              I found that unreliable.

The OS X Mail app has done me well for years, but the latest version seems a little flaky at times. Not enough to make me want to change (yet).

Vienna for RSS feeds (not that I've used it in a while).
              TextWrangler
              Audacity
              Firefox - mainly for addons like NoScript and Adblock Plus
              Libre Office
              iWork
              Xcode
              VirtualBox
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Also IVI Pro - cracking media ripper converter tagger squirter-into-iTunes.

Firefox 3.6 too since for some reason all other versions and all other browsers muck up the server list view on the IBM Hardware Management Console..

VLC and Logmein too...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Firefox 3.6 too since for some reason all other versions and all other browsers muck up the server list view on the IBM Hardware Management Console..

VLC and Logmein too...
                  I kept Firefox 3.5 around for quite a while because 3.6 broke a part of my ISP's control panel. The ISP finally got around to fixing that.

Graphic Converter - there's a 30 second delay at startup for the non-registered version, which is fully functional except for the batch processing. One of those apps I really don't mind paying for because it offers so much functionality, and the developer keeps it up to date at regular intervals.

GrandPerspective - a graphical representation of where your disk space has gone. Good for locating those huge dumps you had forgotten about.

HandBrake

Sound Flower - redirect audio inputs and outputs, for example send internet radio broadcasts to a recording app

Audio Recorder
                  Audacity - if you do a lot of audio work, Amadeus is the dog's danglies.

TinkerTool - modify various system settings

Secrets, a database of hidden settings for Mac OS X, downloadable Preference Pane available.

RCDefaultApp, RCEnvironment and RCWebColorPicker from Rubicode

Carbon Copy Cloner - sadly gone to paid-for version only, but it has been rock solid for me.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 27 November 2012, 13:45.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Text editor I use TextWrangler and any IDE's I use in a VM (VirtualBox is free and bullet proof) so I can use VS within them.
                    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Evernote & Dropbox (if you're a user)
                    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Firefox - mainly for addons like NoScript and Adblock Plus
                    Originally posted by stek View Post
                    VLC and Logmein too...
                    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    HandBrake

TinkerTool - modify various system settings

Carbon Copy Cloner - sadly gone to paid-for version only, but it has been rock solid for me.
                    WTS

Comment

Working...
                    X