• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MySQL v PostgreSQL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to throw a spanner in the works and not really relevant - but my Oracle DBA pals ridicule DB2 summert raw, how does DB2 fit in the Proper Oracle, MySQL, Postgres scheme of things? Separate topic if admin wants to split off...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      What MySQL GUI? I command line when I have to but over the last couple of years have been using SQLyog - can't live without it now.
      MySQL Workbench. It's not too bad once you get used to it - much more stable than the old MySQL Administrator/MySQL Query Browser two-app combination.

Comment

Nick (or anyone) is Visual Studio - including the free DB Express version - any good for MySQL?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Nick (or anyone) is Visual Studio - including the free DB Express version - any good for MySQL?
          Never tried it myself - I only ever run VS (or indeed Windows) for brief sessions testing stuff in IE.

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Just to throw a spanner in the works and not really relevant - but my Oracle DBA pals ridicule DB2 summert raw, how does DB2 fit in the Proper Oracle, MySQL, Postgres scheme of things? Separate topic if admin wants to split off...
            Ah but if you're talking really big computers then you'll find most of them are either running DB2 or Adabas, Oracle are nowadays just a bit player (I've used on them) and either too damn expensive or non-existent support.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I don't know Oracle would want to be discussed as competitors to MySQL... I thought Oracle and MSSQL were competing at the medium-high level with DB2 above them. However I've never actually come across a project using DB2 so who knows.

Not a dig at MySQL though - merely commenting that "medium high" in DB terms is pretty gigantic these days.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X