• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: MySQL v PostgreSQL

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MySQL v PostgreSQL"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't know Oracle would want to be discussed as competitors to MySQL... I thought Oracle and MSSQL were competing at the medium-high level with DB2 above them. However I've never actually come across a project using DB2 so who knows.

Not a dig at MySQL though - merely commenting that "medium high" in DB terms is pretty gigantic these days.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Just to throw a spanner in the works and not really relevant - but my Oracle DBA pals ridicule DB2 summert raw, how does DB2 fit in the Proper Oracle, MySQL, Postgres scheme of things? Separate topic if admin wants to split off...
    Ah but if you're talking really big computers then you'll find most of them are either running DB2 or Adabas, Oracle are nowadays just a bit player (I've used on them) and either too damn expensive or non-existent support.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Nick (or anyone) is Visual Studio - including the free DB Express version - any good for MySQL?
    Never tried it myself - I only ever run VS (or indeed Windows) for brief sessions testing stuff in IE.

Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Nick (or anyone) is Visual Studio - including the free DB Express version - any good for MySQL?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    What MySQL GUI? I command line when I have to but over the last couple of years have been using SQLyog - can't live without it now.
    MySQL Workbench. It's not too bad once you get used to it - much more stable than the old MySQL Administrator/MySQL Query Browser two-app combination.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Just to throw a spanner in the works and not really relevant - but my Oracle DBA pals ridicule DB2 summert raw, how does DB2 fit in the Proper Oracle, MySQL, Postgres scheme of things? Separate topic if admin wants to split off...

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I have heard it said many times that postgesql is the faster one but the tools set up for postgresql were pretty crap if I am being honest. I have a comfort zone with using GUIs on the database rather than going commando with command line. THe more advaned the gui is probably one of my main judgment crireria for DB technology.

Now, when mySQL was taken on by SUN it was a natural fit, when mySQL went into proper database teritory with stored procs I honestly believe that Oracle shat a brick and bought SUN to hinder mySQL, what with plenty of big start ups going on about using mySQL.

THe old mySQL GUI was a great, then they upgaded it to a pile of cack. was that down to oracle?
    What MySQL GUI? I command line when I have to but over the last couple of years have been using SQLyog - can't live without it now.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I have heard it said many times that postgesql is the faster one but the tools set up for postgresql were pretty crap if I am being honest. I have a comfort zone with using GUIs on the database rather than going commando with command line. THe more advaned the gui is probably one of my main judgment crireria for DB technology.
    That's possibly why it became so popular in the first place. The typical ISP Control Panel makes creating MySQL databases a doddle, and many folks don't need much more than that.

I prefer the command line interface to many of the GUIs I have come across, so PostgreSQL wasn't a hassle for me.

Now, when mySQL was taken on by SUN it was a natural fit, when mySQL went into proper database teritory with stored procs I honestly believe that Oracle shat a brick and bought SUN to hinder mySQL, what with plenty of big start ups going on about using mySQL.

THe old mySQL GUI was a great, then they upgaded it to a pile of cack. was that down to oracle?
    I'm not sure that Oracle shat a brick, but they certainly wanted to get their hands on MySQL.
    Last edited by Sysman; 27 October 2012, 13:12.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Jeez, I didn't know Oracle had taken over MySQL
    Java also.

Plus, and you're never going to believe this, there's a black guy as president of the USA *

* currently.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    +1

Though I hear that Postgress is enjoying a bit of a revival due to Oracle messing with MySQL, I am also seeing more use of Hadoop based databases, with additions to allow it to hold and manipulate structured data.
    Jeez, I didn't know Oracle had taken over MySQL

Isn't that a bit like sending an innocent 12 year old to live with her paedophile batchelor uncle?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    MySQL is much more widely installed on standard (i.e. cheap) virtual server web hosting. I think that's because, for a while around ten years ago, MySQL was actually more advanced and stable than Postgres.
    I started using PostgreSQL (to give it its now official moniker) about 6 years ago. At the time it wasn't officially supported on OS X, but I grabbed the sources, got a clean compile at the first attempt and it passed all the tests. If I remember correctly MySQL didn't have transaction capability at that stage, and I wanted to use that.

At that time I preferred the PostgreSQL documentation to the MySQL stuff too. I haven't compared them lately.

I looked into comparison benchmarks a few years ago, but too much of the stuff I found on the interwebs was comparing a well tuned installation of one with an out-of-the-box-defaults installation of the other.

Anyone who has seen what happened to other software products after being taken over by Oracle has a right to feel twitchy. In the case I am familiar with prices shot up and the run time libraries no longer came as part of the OS. That was fine for MegaBank Inc, but not for many smaller companies, nor the software houses who developed for them.

Oracle's handling of OpenOffice didn't bode well.

I'd like to know the real reasons Apple switched from MySQL to PostgreSQL. I suspect that steering clear of involvement with Oracle was the primary reason.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I don't know much about postgres, but with MySQL, you can do clustering, replication and is more industry standard than postgres.
    +1

Though I hear that Postgress is enjoying a bit of a revival due to Oracle messing with MySQL, I am also seeing more use of Hadoop based databases, with additions to allow it to hold and manipulate structured data.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    MySQL is much more widely installed on standard (i.e. cheap) virtual server web hosting. I think that's because, for a while around ten years ago, MySQL was actually more advanced and stable than Postgres.

Anyway, it depends on the criteria by which one defines "better". If, for example, one is doing a GIS app then Postgres is much better than MySQL, whose geospatial extensions do Euclidean calculations of things like distance between points rather than dealing with the anomalies arising from the shape of the Earth. But in other ways, MySQL could well be better, even if only in the sense of an organisation having a lot of experience with it. The team at Flickr do remarkable things with it.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Why do so many sites and apps still use MySQL when PostgreSQL is also free and, in many if not most respects, better?
    I don't know much about postgres, but with MySQL, you can do clustering, replication and is more industry standard than postgres.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X