• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet drops when phone rings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The filter needs to go directly into the master socket then everything runs off from the filter never put the filter down the line it will fail everytime

had exactly this with someone when they ran fat client outlook over VPN i killed the connection everything else ran fine when outlook not running, they had plugged extension into master socket then the filter into the extension, swapped it round, sorted

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
      I had exactly the same problem, spent many a wasted hour with BT engineers checking wiring etc, ultimately they washed their hands with it and told me to report it to my ISP as the phone was working fine and the problem was only with internet.

Spoke to Plusnet, who themselves contacted BT, who sent another OpenReach engineer round, only this time he knew what he was doing. Traced it to a fault on the line at the end of the street.

Quite common if you Google it, just a pain in the arse trying to get your phone line provider to accept it.
      Exactly what happened to me, it took 3 years to get them to finally trace the fault as most BT engineers couldn't give a tulip and just wanted to get away ASAP.

2 poles down the aluminium cable disintegrated as soon as he touched it, hot weather made it worse whilst rain made it better.

I blame Mugabe.

BTW you don't need a filter on a socket if it's only BB plugged into it as its the phone signal that's filtered, the BB side is straight through.
      Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 February 2012, 22:36.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

nothing glaringly obviously wrong
        Not that I can see. I actually have 3 phones, an answering machine , a BT shop number display thingy and a Sky box where you only have one phone and have no problems at all. Maybe suggestion above of crap filter is first thing to check. Then, in order of expense, check line, change phone, change router.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 3 February 2012, 22:47.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As others have said you really need to plug one phone and a router in at the master socket, if it still fails its BT's fault.

Getting an engineer that GAS is another mater.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            I have a problem with my internet connection at home. When the phone rings and someone answers it, the internet connection is lost. After a minute or so it usually restores itself (even if someone is still using the phone)

I'm lost as to what the issue is... Here is a schematic of the way the router is connected to the phone line. There are no other sockets in use around the house.

Anyone got any suggestions?
            Filter's f*cked!

Comment

Probably irrelevant, but you never know...

Back in dial-up days with BT if I was using the modem the phone would appear engaged. That was until they gave me a package with call waiting. From that point on an incoming call would drop the modem, which was a swine when you were in the middle of something.

If it's not your filters it could be a dodgy cable or connector letting the phone signal interfere with the internet bit.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X