• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home/Small Office Data Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Microserver + FreeNAS.

Very easy to setup, very cheap, and will take up to 5x3TB drives.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Anyone considered Livedrive? It's a few quid a month and is basically a clone of your data held for 30 days so you've got that long to recover it.
      I haven't looked at that but I have come across good reports of Tarsnap from those who have my respect on backup and security matters. It uses data de-duplication and is priced on what you use rather than what you think you might use.

Not for the Windows GUI fans though:

At the present time, Tarsnap does not support Windows (except via Cygwin) and does not have a graphical user interface.
      Last edited by Sysman; 4 October 2011, 18:48.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm never buying Buffalo again.

A permie colleague has a Synology NAS which seems a pretty impressive piece of kit and with remote desktop, ability to run PHP applications etc. is really a mini low-power server rather than just storage.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          HP Microserver + FreeNAS.

Very easy to setup, very cheap, and will take up to 5x3TB drives.
          HP Microserver + Unraid. I can't comment FreeNAS but I've successfully recovered 1.5tb of data when a disk failed on my unraid server.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You can get nearly 4 of these for that price:

1.5TB CORE External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive Free Delivery : Other External Hard Drives : Maplin

I've got a smaller one. Great - just plug it in and it works. Use freeware Commodo backup. Occasionally freeware Fbackup4 as that is easier for backing up individual files rather than complete folders.

More than 1 device with rotating use should be safer from faults.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 4 October 2011, 19:46.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Most convenient way of doing offsite backups (to protect against fire, flood, theft). Have 2 or 3 on rotation, swapping weekly or whenever you visit a nearby relative.

With the cheap price of all the suitable options, a mixed strategy is best:

1. one or more NASes on site for immediate backup/access
              2. one or more external drives for offsite backup

The online backup options may look tempting but even ignoring security concerns and ongoing charges, there's the small issue of getting your gigs of data into the 'cloud'. Most people will have a tulip upload speed, so could take weeks to transfer the data. Some companies send out external hard drives for the initial upload to get around the problem.

If you're downloading stuff, then re-uploading to online backup, it may be more efficient to use a VPS as the middleman, so you only download what you want offline and treat the VPS as a remote PC for all the larger files. Also gets around monthly bandwidth limits many home ISPs set.
              Last edited by PAH; 5 October 2011, 08:12.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

If its just backup then does it matter as long as the data is intact somewhere? You just need to get a new one and backup again.

If you have 4x HDD's the chances of one going wrong is higher than a single failure shirley?

That is at least how I justify it to myself when not wanting to spend money.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  If you have 4x HDD's the chances of one going wrong is higher than a single failure shirley?
                  But if that one device fails you still have your data on 3 other devices
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    But if that one device fails you still have your data on 3 other devices
                    And then you have to replace the broken one, I can see the benefit for companies where the downtime might be a problem but for most people at home it's not really necessary IMO.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      And then you have to replace the broken one, I can see the benefit for companies where the downtime might be a problem but for most people at home it's not really necessary IMO.
                      I see where the purposes are crossed

I was looking for primary storage which has redundancy built in, not just a backup solution for PC/Laptop
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X